3. National Geographic Orion
My wife and I prefer comfortable travel but with an adventurous edge. We had previously enjoyed an expedition-style cruise to the Galapagos Islands and were intrigued by the prospect of visiting another relatively untouched environment in Antarctica. We hoped the trip would be strongly flavored with lectures and input from on-board specialists, and in this, it did not disappoint. The ship crew (dining, hotel, etc.) and expedition crew (naturalists, photographers, etc) were uniformly enthused, engaged and AVAILABLE! Any concerns, queries, even casual conversation, was routinely met with satisfying answers from apparently interested people. The expedition crew was encouraged to sit with guests at meals (tables were open and unassigned), and their stories greatly enhanced the lively exchanges at mealtimes. A note on the Drake Passage: many (most?) of the passengers had apprehensions about becoming seasick on the passage from South America to Antarctica. To that end, most (including my wife and I) sported "the patch," a Scopolamine-laces bandaid that sticks behind one ear and lasts for three days or so. Passengers who took precautions (i.e. medications of one sort or another) seemed completely unphased by the significant swell (4+ meters) we experienced. Those who chose to go "unprotected," were "hit and miss." Additionally, ther midship and lower-deck location of our stateroom left us less vulnerable to the larger roller or pitching actions experienced on smaller ships such as ours. Seas were smooth on both sides of the passage, but I can't stress strongly enough the impact on your enjoyment by taking the necessary mediation precautions. (I experienced no drowsiness or other untoward reactions to mypatchs, just comfort.) Lindbladt/National Geographic provided a strong value-added component to this trip. I was able to sign out (at no charge) long length zoom lenses for my camera, a chance to play with new equipment and at the same time enhance my photography. The Zodiac rides were smooth and safe. Close up access to seals, penguins and even whales left us all saying "It just doesn't get any better!" Going into this trip, I was apprehensive, even doubtful, that the experience could possibly justify the very significant costs incurred. It turned out to be an education and a thrill. I was very happy with our trip and it was worth every penny.

Other worldly experience

National Geographic Orion Cruise Review by dwwilkie@shaw.ca

dwwilkie@shaw.ca’s Full Rating Summary
Get Lindblad Expeditions National Geographic Orion price drops

Very clean, roomy and comfortable cabin. Bathroom smallish but adequate. Plenty of warm water, and water was safe for toothbrushing or even drinking. Plenty of storage for clothing and accessories. This was important, given the bulkiness of parkas, boots and other protective apparel required for the excursions.
24-hour daylight outside could have been an issue, but blackout curtains very effective in blocking ANY incoming light.
As previously mentioned, the low, midship location was comfortable re: ship movement in the Drake Passage. All rooms are conveniently located. Rooms were quiet.

• Ushuaia Prison Museum
    Good insight into ordeals faced by prisoners and even prison staff. Could have used a bit more time there before being whisked off to airport
    View All 3 Ushuaia Prison Museum Reviews