First time on Arcadia and really looking forward to it. First impressions on boarding, no welcome meet and greet, or shown to cabins. Cabins were very comfortable, staff very good (all Goan) Evening "shows" alternated with "guest" vocalist (not good) and Tom O'Connor (jokes very dated and targeted at women) Day time activities extremely boring and also at extra cost. Decorations for the Festive season very minimal and unusual colour of teal and silver (cool colours) without which the ship would look very plain, more like a hotel space and not a ship. Didn't feel the Christmas atmosphere that I had expected, especially having sailed with Oceana in December, whose decs were fantastic! First day on board one day only "special offers" for reduced prices to gym/spa/restaurants etc were not made aware of until next day, by which time we could not use them. Cinema only had 30 seats some of which were broken, not really good for a winter cruise. My main complaint though was having to pass the "pub" on my way to the Dining Room or the Theatre. The doors were propped open and smoke filled the adjoining seating areas. The pub was also one of two places of alternative entertainment, which I would have liked to enjoy but because of the smoke was unable to do so. I have never been cold - chilly even on a cruise ship, wherever you sat, dining room, lounges, theatre it was really cold. Our cabin was the only place that we could enjoy comfortably. Sally Sago the Cruise director was uninspiring and I feel that she could have done more to improve the on board activities. No sail away parties, no camaraderie of previous cruises (I have experienced 14) This was on a grade of 1 -10 (10 highest) about a 6. Unless the ports of call are exceptional, I am afraid I will not choose Arcadia again. We went ashore ourselves and didn't use the excursions - glad we didn't because they were expensive at £30 (upwards) each. Going ashore on foot, most of the time with free shuttle buses saved us a lot of money - and the excursions all visited the same places we had - makes you think! Was looking forward to the Gary Rhodes Restaurant on board but the menu was uninspiring and other guests complained about the service so didn't use it.

Cold, Cold Cold

Arcadia Cruise Review by Janis Ward

• Sail Date: December 2009
  • Destination: Baltic Sea

Janis Ward’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Cabin A26
Our cabin had two single beds joined together making a large king size double that still left plenty of room to comfortably move around. A small bath with shower above made all the difference to my weary feet. A balcony with two deck chairs and table with partitions to create privacy from other balconies. A sofa bed, TV, small fridge, tea making and hairdryer all complete the furnishings. One long hanging wardrobe and two others with short hanging spaces and shelves (a safe was included). Maid service was excellent. Bedside lights, low lighting, balcony lighting and central lighting completes the picture. Oh, artwork on walls was a little strange - 2 artworks that bore no relation to each other!
  Arcadia Deck Plans