3. Norwegian Jewel
I chose to go on this cruise as I was off work after a knee replacement. My plus one was my mum. We arrived at the port a little after 12. Bags were dropped with no difficulty. We had to show our printed on line documents & passport before we could enter the hall. Once in the hall we were directed into a line for people with mobility aids where a small area had been set aside for check-in. There was no clear direction at this point of what to do. Eventually a lady came to give us the health forms and took our details. We waited approximately 20 mins to be served and some people who arrived after us were served prior to us. Passports checked, photos taken and we were on our way again, this time to border security. We were again directed to a separate line for people with mobility aids. I had 6 bottles of wine which they put to one side. I signed a room charge for the bottles of wine and we proceeded to embark. We attempted to go to our room to leave the alcohol but the corridor was blocked so we went to the Garden Cafe for lunch. After lunch we headed to our room where our bags were waiting and we met our cabin steward Leo(who was brilliant). Prior to muster I decided to check out the ship. Other people have commented there were areas of the ship that looked a bit tired. Personally I had no complaints. Muster was scheduled for 5pm and lasted approximately 30mins. We headed to the Great Outdoor Cafe for sale away where we had arranged to catch up with Cruise Critic members. We had lovely views and great conversations as we sailed out towards the head. Most days we had breakfast and lunch in the Garden Cafe where there was more than enough variety of food on offer. They also had food themes on the pool deck and in the Garden Cafe. Most nights we ate dinner in Tsar's. The service wasn't five star but I personally had no complaints and found the food tasty. A passenger played the piano on many nights in the restaurant which definitely added to the ambience. A couple of times we went to O'Sheehan's for either lunch or dinner and once we went to Chin Chin. The waiter in Chin Chin was excellent and treated my mother(80yrs) like a queen. I utilised the gym on quite a few days and never had to wait to use any of the equipment. The pool was freezing and several brave souls went for a dip. I tried the spas and wished they were warmer. I went to a few shows in the Stardust Theatre which I enjoyed( and were always packed). Every night I went to the Spinnaker Lounge for the evening activity and to listen to Hotwire. Apart from the wide variety of music they played they(Hotwire) made regulars feel very welcome. The cruise ship entertainment staff were fantastic and made you feel very welcome. As a single female it was great to have dance partners (both female & male entertainment staff). My mother spent a lot of time in the library doing jigsaw puzzles which people brought on board. It would be nice to have a table dedicated to this. All my tours were booked privately so I can't comment on tours the ship had to offer. We only had one tender port-Akaroa and they had 5 boats tendering people to shore. Our cruise was late getting back to Sydney due to a medical emergency and weather issues, consequently disembarkation was pretty quick and efficient. I enjoyed the cruise enough to have booked another cruise on the Jewel at the end of the year.

Fabulous time

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Gizmosmum

Muster was scheduled for 5pm and lasted approximately 30mins.

Gizmosmum’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Family Inside
Cabin I1 10037
Our room was located three doors down from the forward lift. The room, a family room was smaller than I expected but adequate for our needs. We had enough room to store our clothes in the wardrobe. I needn't have bought extra coat hangers as our cabin steward said he would have provided more if we had asked. Both suitcases had to go under one bed as one of the beds had a rollaway under it. The bathroom had a separate shower with a sliding screen door. Our cabin steward provided a shower seat for my mother, which would only go in length ways.The position of the toilet was weird and a tall or large person would have difficulty sitting on it properly. On a couple of occasions I heard external noise in the room.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins