Celebrity Summit Cruise Review

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by GrayMaineCruiser

• Sail Date: Jan 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Sky Suite 2

This was easily the best cruise vacation ever, and the best vacation ever. Despite missing one port (Nassau) due to weather, and an itinerary change from when we first booked (St. Maarten swapped for Antigua), it was just perfect. The staff all provided excellent and friendly service. Summit is a wonderful ship. My wife and I are still somewhat novice cruisers, this one was our third. Our two previous cruises were with Royal Caribbean, and both were very nice. We read a lot of reviews leading up to the cruise and expected it would be wonderful, but our experience easily outpaced those expectations. We are fairly quiet people and don't really enjoy big crowds, I don't think you'll ever find us going on one of the ginormous ships, so the smaller, more intimate Summit was perfect for us. The ship is very easy to navigate. Also, Celebrity does tend to draw from an older demographic, so it is far less of a party ship compared to Royal. This is another big plus for us! The whole cruise was very relaxed. There is plenty to do on the ship, but at the same time, not an overwhelming number of activities where you feel stressed to fit everything in.

Embarkation was pretty smooth, thanks in large part to being a suite guest, which meant a pretty short check in line. But beyond that, and despite the terminal still being not being in the best shape due to the hurricane, operations were very smooth and we were on the ship very quickly after arriving at the terminal. I would say it took 10-15 minutes max.

I've read in other reviews about Summit looking old or seeing better days. Sure, Summit obviously looks different than the brand new giant ships in Royal and Celebrity fleets. And any vessel on the ocean is going to pick up some rust spots (we are talking about salt water after all). But honestly, I couldn't find any remotely significant issues with Summit's appearance or upkeep. All of the spaces were clean and well maintained. Carpeting and seating all looked to be in top notch shape. Summit is also very easy to navigate. It's a smaller ship, which we like very much, but it was never more than a few minutes to get to any part of the ship. I'm pretty sure our next cruise will be on the Summit.

We got a good deal on an upgrade from an Aqua Class room to a Sky Suite. So we took full advantage of the perks, namely the suite dining room Luminae and the exclusive suite club, Michael's. Luminae in particular was well worth the upgrade. Again, as quieter people, we really enjoyed the smaller, quieter dining setting as compared to the large main dining room. Food was excellent, service was excellent, and we had the opportunity to get to know fellow cruisers.

Staff and service were excellent. Our stateroom steward Adhy was excellent in the upkeep of our stateroom. Our butler Chip was perfect for us. He was really good at reading that we were introverts and didn't push himself on us checking in, he seemed to always know the perfect time to find us in the hallway or other areas to check in. He was super helpful! I also have to give special recognition again to the staff at Luminae. Denis the maitre'D always provided us great service as well as our waiters Juan Pablo and Dominic. Dominic especially was excellent. He was super friendly, but also super knowledgeable when it came to explaining what was on the menu, which was good for my wife and I as we aren't foodies and don't do a whole lot of fine dining. But he was also quick to learn our preferences and his recommendations each night were always right in line with our tastes. I hope Celebrity treats him (read: pay) well. A great asset to the cruise line.

Again, as suite guests, the disembarkation process is pretty, well, sweet. Our Michael's Club concierge Anastasia escorted us off the ship and had special clearance to get us ahead of the line to go through customs. Probably 10-15 minutes max from when we left Michael's Club and were in a taxi to the airport.

The service was excellent, the ship was in great service, and everyone from staff to fellow cruisers were all super friendly and nice. It really was the perfect vacation!

GrayMaineCruiser's Full Rating Summary

Sky Suite 2
Cabin S2 6122

We originally booked an Aqua Class, but a price drop near the sail date provided an opportunity for a relatively inexpensive upgrade to a Sky Suite. I'm glad I did. It was a little smaller than the Grand Suite on our last cruise on RCI's Independence of the Seas, but the way it was laid out, we had more than enough space. The walk-in closet was very nice and provided us with ample storage for our 7 night cruise. Balcony is a little on the small side, so no room for loungers, but that wasn't really an issue for us. Definitely would recommend the cabin to others. Location, in the back-half of the mid-ship area, on Deck 6, put us a short walk and a couple sets of stairs to Luminae on deck 4, or a quick elevator ride up to 10 for the buffet. It does provide for a little bit of a longer trek to the solarium, so if someone was expecting to spend a lot of time there, a room to the front of the ship may be better.

This was a nice beach break excursion. We rode by bus to Ffreyes Beach. The water was a little on the rough side this day, but it was still a great beach day. Lunch at the co-located eatery and bar was great. Band providing some nice background island music was a nice touch.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Catamaran Tour

For St Kitts, we did the Catamaran sailing to Nevis excursion. For me, this was the best excursion I've been on during a cruise. This excursion featured a leisurely catamaran sailing to Nevis. It included an open, unlimited bar with water, soft drinks, beers, and rum punches, and then right before we landed on the beach, there was a grilled lunch served. The Catamaran crew were excellent and provided great service. The beach itself was nice, though for me not the star of this excursion. The sail back was a whole lot of fun. They put up all the sails and we were clipping along pretty good. It was a very exciting ride back. Highly recommend this excursion to others!

View All 128 Catamaran Tour Reviews