3. Norwegian Getaway
We chose this cruise as a deal for Jan. 2018. We planned this right after Christmas. It was $499 each for 2 for an inside stateroom. $1640 for both of us including taxes, port fees, travel protection and prepaid tips. Sorry, for all the comparing/contrasting to an older Disney Cruise Ship I am about to do, but it is the only other cruise ship we have been on. The ship: Huge! Beautiful and clean. Lots of rooms and spaces to entertain. Food: Plentiful and great at the buffet, quality even better at the sit-down restaurants. Activities: Fun and a lot! We did mini golf, trivia games, watched a movie, a cupcake demo, did an origami lesson, took a Philippino language lesson (somehow we missed the Spanish lesson) I would have liked to do the ropes course but the weather was too rough on our last at sea day, when we planned on going. Not the ship's crew's fault, of course, but learn from us, if you really want to do something, make sure to do it when you can, don't wait until the last day. The Escape room was challenging and fun. Entertainment: Awesome!! Saw three excellent comedians. We did Cirque Dreams and Steam, Burn the Floor, all fantastic!! Casino; Fun! We had a good time, but we could only spend so much so we only did this two nights for about an hour and a half each. Needs better ventilation. Excursions: Wow! Lots to chose from. We did the Gumbalimba preserve in Roatan, the Tulum Mayan Ruins out of Cozumel, and the Everglades Tour out of Miami. Cruise Critic Meet and Great: Great! Opened us up to talk to crew and other guests on the ship, thanks for all who put this together! The Disney cruise ship we went on in the past, had cordless phones that you put a deposit down for and could carry around the ship, we really liked these. On this trip, my husband and I lost each other and it took us half an hour to find each other. Make sure you have an exact time and meeting spot(not "just the buffet or atrium or casino"- they are really big and can be very crowded!). Activities: A few venues/rooms seemed to be empty while others were over-crowded. Maybe have some more complimentary or low-cost crafts when there are empty rooms, or educational non-sales classes especially about the ports you are visiting. (Disney had a really neat one about bears when we went to Alaska.) Such as: small wood or paper crafts of Mayan or Aztec buildings or symbols or South American plants/flowers/animals. Especially during evening hours and other times when the Atrium, the main pool area, and/or Savor and Taste usually get congested. I wish the canvas painting people could do other items beside canvases. I really didn't want a canvas, nor want to try to get it back home or have to pay even more to do so. However, if it were a choice of a hair scarf, a beach bag, a Frisbee, a plastic travel mug, sweat pants, jewelry etc...at a low cost, I would have. Also, I wish they could repeat pretty much everything two or three times( a few things were repeated), (with 4000 people on board with no house chores, work or school to keep them busy, there's no way everybody can go to something even if only 1000 want to go) like during the evening hours, there were some things I would have liked to have gone to, but because these were only offered once, we were unable to attend. Either they were too packed, or they were during a time we were doing something else. Also, maybe occasionally have a board game contest (like Monopoly or backgammon, dominoes,etc... or a non-betting card game. They could have beginner's learning tables and advanced tables) in the game room and they could take reservations, since the space is somewhat small, for the fun small NCL prizes that I enjoyed winning at the mini-golf challenge and one of the trivia contests. The Atrium: Beautiful, but the seats are way too deep (you had to be 6' to touch the floor, if you sat all the way back) and take up way too much space, maybe they could get a little less extravagant on the seating, as the Atrium always had standing room only crowds during the one-time events at night, while others sat on luxurious couches and chairs. Or maybe they could just have these big events in the Getaway Theater. Some times we just gave up and went back to our room or just ate another round at the buffet. Most of the entertainment did seem to be more for adults which was great for us as the older Disney ship we have gone on seemed to focus too much on little children. The Spa: When offering a girl's night, maybe they could have a guys offering(even if they don't want to call it that) at the same time, nearby. I would have gone if my husband would have had something he wouldn't have minded doing without me. We did get a tour on the first day, however, and it was beautiful. The fitness center: Nice, but we did so much walking it seemed silly to pay for classes, I would have liked to attend a yoga class but it was extra $. On Disney it was complimentary. I almost went to an evening stretch but my husband wanted to go eat. I would have liked to seen it offered a couple of more times at night. Photos: Very talented photographers!! We actually bought some and I usually hate my pictures. I felt the best deal was to buy a package and get the photo book. The smallest package and the photo book with their deal that they had going on would have been around $200. Overall, we had an excellent trip on the Getaway are so glad we went!!

Great first Cruise on the NCL Getaway!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by FunnyPeople

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

The ship: Huge! Beautiful and clean. Lots of rooms and spaces to entertain.

Overall, we had an excellent trip on the Getaway are so glad we went!!
FunnyPeople’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin ID 10403
I believe our inside stateroom for two was pretty standard, and the comfy bed, storage, fridge, closet, desk, and bathroom, various lighting and assorted mirrors were perfect for us.
We also liked the lights for making up the room. Marco our cabin steward was very professional and always had our room clean! And the towel animals always make us happy!
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    We did the ultimate Mexican shopping here. The people here are the most assertive happy salespeople I have ever met! It can wear on you, if you aren't a little thick skinned. Just have an idea what you want and don't be afraid to look around first I said a lot of pleasant "No, gracias.". Take a break and then bargain for things as they will start off high and quickly go down in price, just be respectful, as this isn't a tag sale, this is their livelihood! I felt they really had some nice things and after the first purchase, I realized this was a bargaining place and I felt I got some really good deals.
    View All 2,529 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Tulum
    This is a great tour, but it is a lot of traveling, not that you can pick up ancient ruins and move them closer, but I do wonder if there is a closer port? I would have also liked to see Cozumel but we didn't have time. The ferry is very turbulent, I kept my mind busy by talking to other people on the boat(Thanks Ally and her brother!) The young people on the boat sang all the way there and back! We did feel it was worth the money and travelling. Make sure you bring tip money for the driver and tour guide. There is some pre-priced item shopping and restaurants here, but not a lot of time to do that and see all the ruins and beautiful beach area.
  • Harvest Caye
    We just relaxed on free beach chairs under a palm tree and did some shopping and checked out the animals and butterflies in cages. You don't have to wait for the animal tour unless you want to. There is a lot to do here, if you are in good shape. Rained very hard for about 5 minutes, bring portable rain coats or ponchos. Beautiful island!
    View All 1,140 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Everglades Tour
    Wonderful! Got us straight off the ship on the last day, we took a neat air boat tour and the operator stopped the boat several timers to point out things and we got to see exhibits and a show. Then wesaw there gift shop and ate a very good lunch. and then were driven straight to our airport. We met on the ship at 7:45 and were at the airport by 1:30. I would have liked to stay longer and have a slice of the phenomenal looking key lime pie!
    View All 113 Everglades Tour Reviews
  • Gumbalina Park
    We got a good walking tour of the preserve, and got to have monkeys and parrots placed on me and my husband. We were also allowed to go to the beach for a short while and catch a bus back when there was a big enough group. Bring a lot of singles or fives for tips!! They also let you buy a CD of pictures of yourself with the parrots and monkeys for each person for $14 a piece. Be aware it rains a lot off and on here, just bring a simple portable raincoat or poncho. They take U.S. dollars and have a gift shop.
    View All 162 Gumbalina Park Reviews