3. Costa Diadema
My first cruise and it did not scare me off from going on others. It did however cement our resolve never to cruise with Costa again. A bedlam of constant noise, either from the clientele (if you do not enjoy Italian style of communications... don't go! Just sayin!) or from the very frequent announcements. If if wasn't the daily safety drill (yes, this cruise is a rolling cruise... peep embark and disembark on every port, you can imagine the impact on atmosphere on board, very unsettled, felt like a ferry most days) it was crew only announcements (what an actual?) or super super bingo bingo et al entertainment war cries. There is no area for quiet chilling and since no blankets were provided relaxing on the deck with a book was not possible. Only place to get some peace would have been our cabin.... nearly lost my mind on the at sea day of the cruise! Food was a mixed bag. I'm not going to dwell on the buffet horrors, the food was mediocre (and mostly cold) at best, the brutish feeding frenzy of the clientele was too much for me to deal with but luckily there was the sit down option. Dinners in Fiorentina were the highlights of our cruise. The early seating was the most peace we found on our cruise and the food was pretty good too! Unbelievably coffee and tea were not available freely outside breakfast and the 4-5pm afternoon snack time. Entertainment in the main theater was on amateurish side (apart from last night, the Russian acrobat duo was proper good!) and being amused by enthusiastic ball room dancing civilians can only keep me amused me so long. Staff were OK, we didn't really get involved with demanding anything from them... kind of gave up on expecting anything special upon realization at what kind of cruise this was. Gym was full of loud teens despite no under 16 should have been allowed. I saw one bambino stood on a table by the water machines, no one, not parents nor the staff batted an eyelid. A lot of people were making piles of sandwiches from breakfast tables to have later, that kind of crowd...! The one Costa 'excursion' we took was the coach only to Rome from Civitavecchia: Departure from port was delayed by 45 mins due to broken down coach, 15 mins were added in Rome..... no apologies, no gestures of anything (customer service does not come naturally from this lot!). Both ways our driver (different) was busy one-hand driving down motorway whilst happily (and, typically for region, loudly chatting on his mobile phone). On our way back our guide (a German) lady joined in on the act. I'm certain I'm not alone in NOT enjoying listening to unnecessary mobile conversations of others... not to mention the safety aspect! To recap: Future cruises will not be on Costa. I do not get my kicks from being sleep deprived and successful holidays are not made of feelings of claustrophobia, not to me anyway. If you enjoy your cruise as an opportunity to travel between cities in style and comfort, whilst being entertained, Costa is not for you. In fact, I'm a rather unclear as to whom the Costa experience is aimed at!

Should have read the reviews!

Costa Diadema Cruise Review by FinnBird

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Classic Inside

FinnBird’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Diadema price drops

Classic Inside
Cabin IC 7123
The cabin was OK, good bed and a functional bathroom. AC switches off in the night so plenty of stuffiness to affect sleep, IF any otherwise possible what with the slamming doors and the noisy party peep returning in wee hours screaming.....
Bizantino Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins