3. Carnival Splendor
Going through the Panama Canal was something that I always wanted to do, so this was the cruise for me. We have been to Miami before so we didn't do anything special before the cruise. Embarkation was totally smooth; Disembarkation.....not so much. Because of bad weather the ship had to slow down and we were late getting into Long Beach. Then, it took forever before they started calling groups to disembark. We had booked the Carnival Shuttle to take us to the airport and that was a complete disaster; they had long lines of people, but few buses available. Some people were beginning to panic about missing their flights because of getting into port so late and then not having a bus available. This was our 4th time on the Splendor, so we were familiar with the ship, and the decor doesn't bother me. Our cabin was fine; our Steward and his helpers were GREAT! The dining was more of a problem. We had Your Time Dining and didn't have to wait, but the waiters seemed to be rushing around and it took forever for our food to arrive. So, we ended up eating in the Lido buffet more than usual. And I had a problem with that. While they offered a good selection, it seemed to me that the hot food was NOT hot. By the time you got your plate to a table and started to eat, everything was definitely cold. And one night I woke up with severe cramps rolling through my stomach. After heaving up what was in my stomach and spending a lot of the rest of the night sitting in the bathroom, I felt pretty good the next day. The man putting on the Journeys programs has a lot of interesting things in his presentations, but.......he was on the cruise that we took from Vancouver to Hawaii, and the 2 programs we attended on this trip were the same as he did on the previous cruise, so we didn't go to the rest of his programs. The comedy shows were mostly good, although there was one "comedian" who really wasn't very funny. We booked our excursions through Carnival and learned a lot about each of the countries we visited. However, in Costa Rica, we had booked our tour for 8:15 to 12:30 (4 1/4 hours), because we had other plans for the afternoon. The afternoon before, we noticed that our tickets said the tour started at 9:30. When inquiring at the Excursions desk we were told that the tour times had been changed to 9:30 & 11:30. Then, to start with, all of the tours were late leaving the ship. It was 10:15 when we finally left, and we didn't get back to the ship until 5:30 (7 1/4 hours) The ship was supposed to sail at 5:00, but there were 3 busloads of people not back yet. At the alligator place, we were offered a banana and some cut-up watermelon, but other than that there was no place to get anything to eat in that 7 1/4 hours. And when we got on the train (the last leg of the tour), they came through with bottles of water, Coke & beer........which you had to pay for. I don't know how much of those problems were Carnival's and how much were the tour company's. And to add insult to injury......that same tour DID leave at 8:15. We had booked the tour a long time before some of the people who were on the 8:15, so I don't know why we were shifted to 9:30, or why we were told that the 8:15 had been cancelled. As I said, we learned a lot in the ports that we visited, so in general I enjoyed most of the cruise. But, as others have said in their reviews........why do they keep the interior of the ship so COLD? Everyone was wearing sweaters or jackets.

Panama Canal; GREAT itinerary!

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by JustMom

JustMom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 7414
The beds are comfortable. There is plenty of room and closet space. There is only one outlet, so bring a multi-plug if you need to plug in more than one thing.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins