3. Costa Deliziosa
We have travelled on Costa Majica in the Mediterranean before and we had a fantastic trip. The food was excellent and the shows were magnificent. So with this in mind we thought why not book our Caribbean cruise with them as well on the Costa Delioza. Because it was it was the start to our month long trip to America for our Honeymoon and wedding in Vegas we decided to go all out and book a suite. (We are South African so the exchange rate for us is R14 for $1). So you can imaging this is a lifetime of saving for a trip of a lifetime. Our Cruise departed from Fort Lauderdale on 20 December 2017. First sign was when our departure was delayed till something like 2am in the morning because some passengers flight had been delayed. There went the excitement of the traditional harbour departure. We couldn't stay awake till that time. Boarding was simple and easy. On boarding we were greeted by a English hostess (we never saw her again on the boat for the full 7 days). That 1st night we went to dinning room reserved for the suites. The Maitre'D took the room card from my husband and looked at me and said and where do you come from as if to say I am not good enough for his restaurant. It was a great start to our dinning experience for the next 7 days. He then told us we would have to come back at 9pm because they were going to be doing the emergency drill. (We have cruised a bit and normally they announce a time for the drill so that you can plan your time around it.) Well we then went and waited in our room for the signal. We did the obligatorily drill and went back to the dinning room. By this stage I had sort of lost my appetite. Well I was expecting much better quality food but again it was the first night and we were still in Port. We woke up to an arrival in Nassau. We didn't book any tours as we prefer to do our own thing when getting off the boat and also we could not afford the prices of the tours. We spent the day with some other passengers we met disembarking. Having been there 17 years before we were shocked at the state of Nassau and how run down it was. It was like going to any market/shopping mall anywhere in the world. We left Nassau and some stupid passenger with high blood pressure decided to go diving (which is not recommended). We heard he died and that is why we had to go back to Nassau and not move on to the Grand Turks. These ships are supposed to have hospitals and morgues on board (my son works on a ship). Anyway this delay meant that we only had a half a day in the Grand Turks which we were so looking forward to. Before leaving (in fact months before) I booked online for the Samsara Restaurant. So off we went with our confirmation. We arrive there and got a very rude well we don't have a booking for you. So I showed her the paper and her reply was well that service online doesn't work you need to book on the ship. After much discussison they seated us at a table right next to the waiters entrance to kitchen. There went our romantic dinner. The food was also very mediocre and we could well have just eaten in our own dinning room. We had another medical emergency not far out of the Grand Turks and the boat once again had to do a u-turn. This luckily didn't effect our other stops. Well back to the over all service. The waiters had a shocking attitude and banged plates down in front of you. The food at the buffet was disgusting (slop). If you wanted a burger you had to pay extra, there was NO ice cream on the boat and you had to pay for pizza. These things have always been included previously. We could not find a bar man, waiter or Matire'D who could give advise on wines. The selection was also very poor. Well now onto the entertainment. It was SHOCKING except maybe if you where Italian. I understand it is an Italian liner but you are cruising in an English speaking part of the world. Adapt. Even on our Mediterean cruise the entertainment was our joy every night. The shows were what we looked forward to every night. There was one morning when our safe would not open and I phoned the customer services desk to ask them to come and open it. We needed our passports and wallets to get off the boat at Ambers Cove. I even phoned our butler. We sat in our room for 4 hours waiting. Only when I went down to the desk and made a scene about the overall service and the fact that some dead guy had ruined our trip to the Grand Turks was I quickly ushered to our room where they opened the safe. Now after such a complaint I would have expected them to send the English Speaking Hostess to us to understand our concerns but no she was no where to be found. That evening at dinner we did get an apology from the Maitre'D and from then on we were treated like any other diner in the restaurant. I am not sure if we looked too poor to be in the suite dinning room or maybe too young? Well we obviously where not good enough until I complained. So overall the staff looked miserable and as if they were just dragging themselves through the day. A couple of the staff told us that they had just had their salaries dropped (can you imagine just before Christmas) and their bonus was a $10 calling card so they could call home for Christmas. Apparently some of the them where at threat of loosing their positions. They are taking the butler service away from the Suites. So I assume they will then lower their fees. Costa will not be seeing us again! Thanks for ruining a trip of a lifetime you sure as hell made it an overall disaster.

TRIP OF A LIFETIME RUINED

VanC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Deliziosa price drops

Samsara Suite with Balcony
Cabin SU 8294
Pleasant but the balcony was small and had absolutely no privacy at all.
Petunia Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins