3. Celebrity Constellation
Ok, we had a lovely Cruise, the itinery was great and that is what sold us the cruise, the ship was comfortable, albeit a little tired in places, There were issues that Celebrity really need to address but on balance it may appear to some that these are petty to others. However you have to remember that Celebrity are selling a dream, and as a customer I should not have to compromise. We arrived early in Abu Dhabi, 7am but couldn’t check in until 9 and board until 11 and didn’t get cabin until 12, so really lost the morning. No one said we could leave the cruise termininal at check in but in reality there was nothing to stop us once checked in, so I should have asked. My advice is check in and then do the big red shuttle bus to the trade centre or take taxi and start exploring as soon as you can. Don’t waste time waiting to get your cabin as it will still be there when you get back and your luggage will have arrived too. We didn’t, ended up not going out until 13:00 so missed doing as much there as we could have there. My biggest issue that makes me angry with Celebrity is the Indian Visa debacle as others have mentioned, so will not go into details here, but Celebrity are shirking there responsibilities for treating customers fairly when they insist in their correspondence that to board you must have a Multi Entry Visa, yet are able to “arrange” on board visa’s for people they allowed to board without a visa and at a cost that was significantly less than most of those passengers who followed their guidance paid to the Indian Consulate or a Visa Application Service. The most frustrating issue relates to the lack of sun Beds, and the behaviour that this creates to Bed block. Something that was prevalent and have not seen on other cruises, so beware. The pool butlers seemed unable to manage the situation when beds were reserved but unoccupied for hours.....and there was no obvious system in place or passenger communication on a fair usage policy, something that they could have published in the daily guide. The terrace was lovely with its rattan furniture and big screen, but again if you wanted one of these beds you had to be up early, and if you went specifically to only watch the film then I am afraid the floor was for you. This really isn’t acceptable for a Cruise line of Celebrities status. The state room was really nice, not new but clean and comfortable. A nice place to take a lazy breakfast on the balcony on your first day at sea. The attendant worked hard to look after us and was responsive to our needs. We really enjoyed the Celebrity cabaret team shows in a first class theatre, some of the other shows were a little hit and miss but still watchable. The Martini Bar was a great environment and very popular so always commanded big queues at the bar, patience is a virtue, the guys work hard, but another pair of hands would have really helped. The San Marco was a nice environment but the whole Select dining queuing spoilt some of the enjoyment and seemed chaotic, although we learnt to book a table for the following night on our way out so helped us cope with the apparent Chaos. The staff work hard, but sometimes there just doesn’t seem to be enough of them and on quite a few occasions I had to ask for my Wine to be topped up, again when you are selling an experience then attentiveness is what makes the difference, that is the finesse that it lacked. Food was generally good with a selection and some staples if you didn’t fancy the daily special, but having cruised previously with Princess although the food was enjoyable I would say it wasn’t quite as good. The Ocean View was great for breakfast and throughout the day had great selection of good quality mealsand snacks - really enjoyed the Pizza bar and the Egg station for breakfast. We chose to eat the Indian special dinner served there when in Mumbai, it was really very nice. The Tuscan Grill was nice, and more personal, it is probably worth the premium just for the change of scenery and a very enjoyable steak with an excellent and attentive sommelier. The silent disco was good fun and really enjoyable, so have ago. We had the classic alcohol drink package, which was great unless you wanted specifically to enjoy primary branded drinks and spirits, but if you fancied a special tipple you only had to bay the uplift on over your package allowance. This package also enabled us to enjoy the coffee and tea selection in Cafe Baguio for 11’s with some wonderful pastries. In terms ports of call, Mumbai, Dubai, and Muscat were my favourites taking in the sunset at Sky at Level 143 of the Burj Kallifa a must. The Grande Mosque in Abu Dhabi is a must too. So overall we had a lovely time, but there are some niggles that Celebrity need to improve. This was my first time on Celebrity so expectations from talking to others were high. The test is would I do it again? Assuming Celebrity sort out the Visa situation then Yes, but having been once and learnt how it worked I would certainly be more demanding of the pool butlers and in the San Marco. It would be nice to go back and see that Celebrity have recognised the issues and feed back from myself and others and then to come back and write perfect review.

Great itinerary, enjoyable but lacks some finesse......

Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Fullahead

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 2
Fullahead’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Constellation price drops

Concierge Class 2
Cabin C2 80xx
A good size with settee and side table, comfortable bed with bedside cabinets and lamps, tea making facilities, bathrobes (clean but looked tatty as lots of threads), nice dressing table with Euro and US sockets, hairdryer, good sized wardrobes with drawers - take extra hangers there is never enough. Storage unit for cameras etc. Typical size unobstructed balcony, but be aware that the pool deck overhangs the cabins, so if you want to soak up the sun on the balcony it has to be quite low in the sky. Balcony was a nice place to have a lazy room service breakfast. Bathroom is typical size and adequately equipped, but has no shaver socket. Good shower with a washing line. Although not new and showing some signs of wear and tear it was clean and well serviced. Be aware that this ship does not have a passenger laundry and ironing room, so all washing has to be done via the ships laundry and for underwear it was $3 an item, it can prove expensive.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins