3. Viking Sky
We chose the Miami pre-cruise extension and were disappointed. I am accustomed to having Viking provide sightseeing each day. There was nothing scheduled for our arrival day, so we arranged our own tour. Our room was not ready, so we were told to return after 4. We returned after our tour, around 6, and our room and similar ones had been given away!! We spend an interminable time at reception trying to find a place to bed down for the night. The hotel eventually upgraded us and gave us a $50 chit for dinner, but that didn't quite make up for the hassle we had endured. The wine and cheese party the next night (a disappointment after the usual Viking river welcome dinners) was held in room off the lobby that was open to the sky. It was a virtual wind tunnel. We were the first to take our inferior snacks and glass of wine out to the lobby, and were soon joined by most of the group. What a poor choice of a room...and of the nibbles. The Hilton Cabana Hotel was not the best. Only one elevator worked, so it was a disaster on the day of our departure for the ship as people tried to bring themselves or their luggage down to the lobby. Our luggage was never picked up, so Bob had to bring it down himself. The embarcation process was the smoothest I have ever experienced. (The same was true of disembarkation) Everyone was ready for us, passports were scanned, ship key cards issued and we were ushered onto the ship and greeted with a glass of bubbly...always a nice treat. We chose this to visit Key West, the Panama Canal and Cartagena, all of which we enjoyed, plus we wanted to experience a Viking Ocean ship since we've been on several Viking river cruises. The ports, other than the ones mentioned above, were not very interesting and the tours were dip. I was disappointed and I was also disappointed in the number of sea days, tho I knew how many there would be when I signed up. I never dreamed that I would finish three books of over four hundred pages while on a sightseeing cruise. The meals in the main dining room were the expected high caliber of Viking. The selections were so wonderful that we always had trouble deciding on what to have. We always selected different courses so we could sample each others choices. The idea behind the Captain's Table was clever- small bites of special sumptuous food- but we found the main dining room preferable to the Italian restaurant. The buffet lunch was always tasty, so was breakfast there, tho my husband preferred to have breakfast in the main dining room...so we alternated. I did have a problem with the tossed salad at lunch on the buffet. On your riverboats it is so easy to fix up a big plate of salad by yourself. On the Sky, the toppings/additions were out of reach so we had to stand in line and wait for the chef to serve us...time wasted and no one likes to stand in line for food. We are smokers and appreciated the fact that our area was covered and so protected from sun and rain, however the tall cigatette disposal towers were never emptied. There wasn't much to the gift shop, but it was certainly better than on your river boats. I have already complained about the rotating globe that we purchased in the shop and you can check your records for that. I think the shops on the Regent ships are more interesting...especially when there are so many sea days. Naturally, despite what I have written, we will try another Viking Ocean cruise...I am thinking of Bergan to Greenwich.

Panama Canal and Central America

Viking Sky Cruise Review by joanndale

Viking Cruises, Community Team has responded
Dear joanndale, As a loyal Viking Cruises guest, we highly appreciate and value your feedback, and thank you for taking the time to compose this thoughtful, comprehensive review. While we’re heartened to hear that both the embarkation and disembarkation process were worry-free, and that locations such as Key West, the Panama Canal and Cartagena were enjoyable, we regret to learn that aspects of this voyage fell below your expectations. Should you be interested in discussing your experience further, we invite you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, where a seasoned agent can connect with you to learn more and have an in-depth conversation. We look forward to joining you again on a future voyage, joanndale, and are confident that our next journey together will reflect your excellent past experiences cruising with us. Kind regards, Viking Cruises
joanndale’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sky price drops

The cabin was lovely, I had no problems with it, nor with the service