This is an unfavorable review of our recent cruise on the Mississippi River. I decided to write it when I received a letter from the president of the company, Mr. Charles A. Robertson, "acknowledging" my comments with a "form" letter which stated he was so "pleased to hear how much I enjoyed my cruise aboard the America and especially enjoyed reading my comments...." I did NOT enjoy my cruise with American Cruise Lines, Inc. ship "America". The rooms are sparsely furnished with cheap furniture; the food was unremarkable; the entertainment (with the exception of the Victory Belles) was mediocre, at best. I expected much more for the price of this cruise. Let’s talk about the food. As mentioned, it was unremarkable except to say some of it was not edible, i.e. the “crab bread pudding” was so dry they actually removed it from the menu on subsequent nights. The selections were minimal and not appealing to a discriminating palate. The portions were very small and no seconds or additions were offered. On one occasion, I asked for a substitution and was denied! Denied! Let’s talk about the entertainment. The duo who performed some nights is a sweet couple and they do have some talent, but this was not the caliber of entertainment I expected for the price of this cruise! We didn’t even stay for most of the entertainment because it was so sub-standard for cruising. As stated above, the Victory Belles were outstanding! I have decided to copy this letter to Trip Advisor and Expedia. Not because I want to hurt their company, but because the President failed to acknowledge my actual comments in his January 24 letter. If I were not already booked on their Pacific Northwest trip, I would not be traveling with their company again, but, trust me, it will be the last time I cruise with American Cruise Lines, Inc. I do not recommend this company to my FB friends and family.

Unremarkable

America Cruise Review by susanjones

susanjones’s Full Rating Summary
Get America price drops

Let’s talk about the “suite”. It was a reasonable size but the furnishings were far from elegant. It appeared most of the pieces were from a discount house. No style, no glitz, no character, no charm. We didn’t even have a table on which to enjoy room service and had to drag the patio table inside in order to eat. The room was not vacuumed the entire week we were there; therefore, debris on the carpet when we arrived was still there when we left! That would also indicate the room wasn’t even vacuumed before we arrived! I had occasion to visit the suite above us (402) and saw the room to be considerably larger for the same price as ours. I also saw it was furnished exactly the same, meaning most of the room was empty, lacked charm and character! I expected much more! Where was the charm and character of a “river boat”? Where was the elegance of a “suite”?