After a death in the family, it was decided that a 'traditional Christmas' was not wanted; a family cruise was needed. Nine of us were booked on the Eurodam, one suite, two balconies and one inner cabin. For my review, it will be focused strictly on my experiences. We were on the msEurodam; December 24 - 31, 2017; Fort Lauderdale, Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay, Fort Lauderdale Embarkation was good. No real lines, the staff were welcoming, someone was walking around with Christmas cookies. We were on the ship within 20 minutes of arriving at the port. Having cruised several (5) times before, we have always been greeted on-board by officers of the ship along with a sparkling wine service. This was not the case with this cruise. Especially odd since it was December 24th - the day before Christmas. I would have thought there would be some sort of celebratory drink service. We were on our own to find the elevators and locate our cabin. I also note that upon entering the ship, there is no WOW factor - the lobby seemed closed off, there was no dramatic art work, solarium, etc. We found the cabin (7126) to be smaller than the other cruises we've taken (Celebrity and Princess). The finishes seemed generic, the verandah was also slightly smaller. Storage in the cabin is good once you find it (check under the end of the bed, under the couch, and under the ottoman/stool. The cupboards can also be altered to what best suits your clothes as the shelves can be raised (to make for longer hanging areas) or lowered to make more shelf space. The lavatory is smaller with no storage to speak of. Our cabin had a bath/shower combination. The water pressure was okay. The cleanliness was fine, except we did find a couple pieces of debris from the prior passengers behind the drapes. One nice touch that have not been on my previous sailings was a light for the verandah. The condition of the ship needs to be looked at in some areas. Our first lunch, the table had a crack in it, the material on the chairs was cracking, the window had a crack in it, paint was peeling on the light fixture on our deck, there was rust on various pieces of metal on the ship. All little things that add up. Our room stewards were pleasant and general did a good job, but not outstanding. We were into our second day before fruit arrived and a replacement wine glass that was used my first night. The dining room / food services is where things REALLY need attention. My wife and daughter are celiac - therefore they are gluten free (GF) and cannot have a number of items (flour, oats, wheat, barley, rye, most soya sauces, etc.). When the cruise was booked we informed the agent, upon embarking we informed the maître d'hôtel, and then when setting for dinner explained it to the waiters. The first dish presented to my daughter I noticed they had served it with a Potato William. I asked what her potato was coated in (usually it is a bread crumb). I was informed it was panko. Panko!! They had NO clue that panko is just a Japanese breadcrumb. The waiter quickly removed her plate and returned with a baked potato. As is customary with dietary restrictions, the wait staff ask you to pre-order your meal the night prior. Both my wife and daughter order that evening for the next day. On the order they wrote GLUTEN FREE. The second night dinner was served, and all seemed fine... until three hours after dinner when my wife started experiencing a gluten attack. Normally when she is "gluten'ed" it is something minor and lasts three to four hours. This time she was laid up for twelve hours. It turns out the kitchen sent her a regular lobster bisque. The next morning I had a meeting with the Hotel Director and Food & Beverage Director - at which we discussed how dangerous and completely inexcusable this error was. Both were apologetic and said they would look into it. That night at dinner the Dining Room Manager came to the table and apologized, sending two bottles of wine as a gesture of good will. A welcome gesture, and we appreciate that he "fell on the sword" for the company - however, this was NOT the error of the dining staff - they brought out what the kitchen sent as GF. So I ask, why did the Chef not come out to speak with us?? The F&B issues did not end there: - at the Dive-In restaurant (burgers, hotdogs, chicken) I ordered a hamburger cooked medium-well. Upon my first bite, red juice started dripping out. They sent me with a RAW burger. I immediately returned it, and they provided me with a replacement about five minutes later. I will admit, the replacement was excellent, but if the first one was served to a child who did not know better, what then? - at the NY Pizza counter I built my own with tomato, pepperoni, onion, and pineapple. To my surprise I was given a pizza loaded with mushrooms... LOADED! I do not eat mushrooms. And this was not someone else's pizza, mine was the only one on order. Rather than replace, I just picked them off, but upon showing the staff they did not seem phased. - three separate times on deck I had to flag down staff to receive beverage service, one time I could not get any attention and had to go to the bar. - Christmas morning we ordered room service breakfast to our suite. It was "fine" except they missed parts of our order, put breaded hashbrowns on our GF eggs making them inedible, and served cool coffee (rather than hot). - the line-ups at the lido bar are incredible. It is mostly due to the layout. People have to queue in the same passage way as those walking around. Everyone is tripping over each other. Celebrity Solstice class has the right idea, central service areas with lots of open space around the different counters. On a plus side (sort-of), the best service I received was in the Exploration Cafe. Although it is in a very strange location - on the 11th deck forward, which you cannot actually get to directly from the aft or mid-ship elevators. Service overall seemed to be lacking. One day in port it started to rain, HARD (torrential is more accurate). I was at the Dive-In for a hotdog (which was good) and watched as the passengers had to scramble to get out of the rain. The staff literally just stood there and watched - not a single person offered help, especially to the number of passengers who were slightly older and could have used assistance gathering their belongings. What seemed to be really lacking, and I think the real reason why the service is so poor is that over seven days I NEVER saw an Officer walking around, checking on the staff, talking with the passengers. Nothing. Not one time! In fact, neither of the Directors had the foresight to follow-up with my spouse or me about her experience in the dining room. And the last kicker - I went to a "complimentary" acupuncture consultation. I would like to stress, the consultant (Dr. Q. Sihan) was very pleasant and seemed to take a real interest in her profession, and I take NO issues with the actual service she provided. In fact, under the right circumstances I would attend her practice again. My issue is with the manner with which the spa operates. Dr. Qin and I spoke for about ten minutes, she asked to test a needle on my arm, and then said she was going to work on a problem area for me. AT NO TIME DID she tell me the complimentary consultation was over and we were moving into a treatment... that I would be charged for. At the end of my session she presented me with a bill for $150 plus a service charge of 18%. I signed the form believing this was just a control receipt (the same thing happened with our beverage package, for every drink we ordered we were presented a receipt which was posted to our cabin account but immediately credited). Wanting to show Dr. Qin my gratitude for her free consultation, I wrote in a $20 gratuity to say thank you for the time she spent with me for the complimentary treatment. She then presented me with a new receipt just showing the $20; this is what I expected to pay. As usual, the morning before disembarkation I printed my cabin account to find out that there really was a charge of $150 + 18%... WHAT?!?!? It was complimentary!!! I immediately went to the spa but could not find Dr. Sihan to discuss the issue, so I went to Guest Services only to be told that they understood my concerns but there was nothing they could do (even after calling the Spa). Apparently the Spa is a contracted service. WHAT?!?!? My contract is with Holland America - not the spa. Later that day the spa manager called me to essentially say, 'you should have known the difference between a consultation and a treatment (even though I had never had acupuncture before), you signed the receipt, you're paying the charge'. After much debate she offered to remove the $20 gratuity and the 18% service charge. NOT COOL!!! As I expressed to her - what a scam!! Disembarkation was well organized; we were out of the cruise port within 40 minutes of our group being called.

Needs some real focus...

Eurodam Cruise Review by fairwaymob

• Sail Date: December 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

The F&B issues did not end there:

fairwaymob’s Full Rating Summary