3. Magellan
Lets start with with the good. The shower was hot, the bed was comfortable and the food was generally good at dinner. The Christmas and New Years dinners were excellent with wine included. This "good" was short - now lets start with the bad. We were on the fifth deck,on the wall above our head was a folded bunk bed which stuck out far enough to knock our heads as we sat up in bed. another bunk bed was on the far wall. The air con.control was on the ceiling and did not work.The small TV was up high in a corner, but no problem, no channels were available except for a couple of days. The worst complaint was water running down our window in the morning, so badly towels had to be placed under to catch to water. After a few days we were moved -no bunk beds. We dined in the Kensington Restaurant,the food was good but badly presented with spills on the edge of the plates.The waiters were not trained, on our second evening our waiter could not be bothered to give any fresh knives and forks at our table so he so he just left the dirty ones on plates and told us to use them again! The next evening he was replaced with an excellent waiter (should be with the "good" list). Lunch was poor with a feeling it was using some leftovers from dinner, poor selection and frequently cold. Breakfast was fine but not the smoked haddock,like cardboard in colour and texture. Raffles,the self service buffet, is a disgrace. Very poor selection, food cold and waiters completely disinterested who spoke little English.many times nowhere to sit.I asked for a mint tea, the waiter picked up a tea bag with his hands dropped in a cup and passed it to me. when I questioned if this was mint he removed the bag sniffed it and then returned if to the cup! I found my own tea. The ship is very old and it shows. The heating did not always work and it was very cold. During bad weather it handled badly,very noisey with bangs squeaks night and day and the ship did rock and roll in any bad seas. Lack of seating in all public areas. The card room ran out of cards.The theatre was comfortable but always cold. Two lecturers one knew his subject but no talker, the second just read from notes. The entertainment was the worst I have experienced, I would say end of the pier stuff but this would be an insult to any pier. This was a budget cruise and is not for anyone who has cruised on a better line (any other line) This is certainly not for anyone with walking problems as they were not considered in any way. At two ports the gangways,up to the fifth deck, were so steep if was like climbing a mountain.

Rock & Roll Over Christmas

Magellan Cruise Review by montycat

• Sail Date: December 2017
  • Destination: Europe

montycat’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

No bedside cabinets, limited drawer space, we moved to another cabin on the sixth deck and this offered tea/ coffee with a cracked dirty cup.