3. Viking Sea
This was my first cruise. My sister and I went with our Mom and her husband on this cruise, it was on her bucket list to go on one. We had a wonderful time and were very pleased we picked Viking for our first cruise. It was wonderful to be treated like royalty for the duration of our trip. We were met at the airport and shuttled directly to the ship with no issues whatsoever. I believe that initially we were to arrive the previous day and stay in a hotel in San Juan but with the hurricanes, most hotels were either not usable or full of displaced residents and people helping with the rebuilding. When we disembarked, we were dropped off at the airport directly. I also understand that normally, we would stay at a hotel near the airport for our wait but that option was unavailable. We were very impressed with the quality of the service and amenities Viking provided, from the staff that remembered our names and greeted us whenever we met to the fine food provided by all the restaurants. We ate breakfast and lunch primarily at the World Cafe and a majority of our dinners at The Restaurant. I can see no reason to eat dinner at the buffet when you can have such wonderful meals at The Restaurant. We had two dinners at the Chef's Table which were very unique and enjoyable although not meals we would eat on a regular basis, this restaurant is a tasting menu with wine pairings. We also enjoyed afternoon tea in the Wintergarden, a nice, relaxing break after a busy day. Our room was lovely and not the least bit small, in my opinion. Having the veranda was wonderful and I spent quite a bit of time each morning enjoying our entry into the various ports of call. I don't think I would want to cruise without the ability to step outside from my room. Our room steward, Arvid, kept everything in tip top shape and we enjoyed talking to him when we had the chance. We participated in all the included excursions except one (we had scheduled spa treatments when we thought we would be at sea that day) and all were very informative although I would have liked more walking and less bus riding. I understand the reason behind using the buses and it does work well for the age range of most cruisers on our ship (55+). The availability of excursions included int the cost of the cruise was one of the reasons we chose Viking. We did miss out on swimming on one of our excursions since it wasn't clear we would be spending enough time at the beach when we set out on our excursion (Guadeloupe). We added paid excursions, horseback riding in Puerto Rico, kayak/snorkel in St Kitts and snorkeling in St Thomas. All were well worth the money spent and I would not hesitate to do them again. I am very glad we opted to go on this cruise in spite of the hurricanes. It was very eye opening the see the devastation and recovery work first hand. All the locals were thrilled to see us and treated us great. We were the 2nd cruise ship to visit St Croix (an island not on our itinerary, Tortola was too devastated to accommodate our ship) and the first cruise ship into ports at St Martan and St Thomas. I used the spa for two massages, both of which were wonderful. The spa facilities are lovely and the sauna/snow grotto wasn't nearly as shocking as I may have expected. We didn't attend many of the shows available although we did listen to some of the musicians in the Atrium. We did hear one of the port talks while waiting to disembark one day and it was well done and informative. Although Viking caters to older cruisers, there were a few youngsters on board and I would not hesitate to take my 18 year old son on this cruise. This is not the cruise line to use if you are wanting casinos, waterparks and nonstop entertainment on board. All aboard the ship, the common areas were quiet and allowed relaxation and rest. If you want to sit and read and watch the ocean flow by, you can, uninterrupted by loud music and announcements. You will only be disturbed by an occasional steward asking if you need anything. Overall, I was extremely pleased with my experiences with Viking and the Viking Sea. I would not hesitate to sail with them again in the future and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing cruise. I was ready to get right back on board for the next trip after mine concluded.

Viking Sea West Indies Explorer

Viking Sea Cruise Review by Newtsmom2

• Sail Date: November 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean

Newtsmom2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

• Antigua
    A very nice bus tour to Shirley Heights and Nelson Dockyard.
    View All 13,779 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Scenic Drive
    Nice bus tour of island including Highland Adventure Center and St James Parish Church.
    View All 31 Scenic Drive Reviews
  • Guadeloupe
    Wonderful drive around Guadeloupe including the outdoor market where I would have liked to spend more time and Saint-Francois Lagoon where we had time to enjoy the beach. Unfortunately, it was not clear that we would have time to swim so we did not bring a suit.
    View All 13,779 Guadeloupe Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Guadeloupe Cruise Port Review
  • Horseback Riding
    This is a very nice relaxing horseback ride through the foothills of the El Yunque rain forest to the Mameyes river and back. Suitable for riders and non-riders alike.
    View All 25 Horseback Riding Reviews
  • Walking Tour of Old San Juan
    Great walking tour of Old San Juan, best for people who can walk longer distances.
    View All 158 Walking Tour of Old San Juan Reviews
  • St. Croix
    No excursions were available. We were not scheduled to dock here, Tortola was to be our port but due to the hurricanes, this port was not available. We were able to walk into town (Frederiksted) and enjoy the small beach there. I was able to enjoy floating around and fish watching, it was a very relaxing port of call. There were several vendors at the port and I found some lovely, locally made jewelry.
    View All 424 St. Croix Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Croix Cruise Port Review
  • Island tour
    A nice island drive which included stops at Fairview Great House, a lovely historic home and grounds, and Timothy Hill overlook
    View All 272 Island tour Reviews
  • Kayaking
    We had a wonderful time kayaking out to a reef and then snorkeling around the reef before kayaking back to shore for some local fruits. We had a wonderful time and wish the excursion could have been longer.
  • Island Tour
    Another nice Island tour which includes a stop at Stony Hill. A wonderful tour especially if you appreciate the local flora.
    View All 267 Island Tour Reviews
  • Island Tour
    This Scenic St Martin tour was the only one available at the time we were there. Other excursions were cancelled due to the storm damage. The tour included a stop at the West Indies Mall, Carousel Gelateria and Rotary lookout. It was sobering to see the devastation left by the hurricane but the island is busy rebuilding and the people were absolutely thrilled to have us visit.
    View All 376 Island Tour Reviews
  • St. John Snorkel/Sail
    This was a barefoot catamaran cruise to a shipwreck and Turtle Cove. We had the chance to snorkel twice, once over the shipwreck and once at Turtle Cove. We saw plenty of fish, turtles and a ray. The crew of the Castaway Girl 3 was wonderful and we had a great time.
    View All 182 St. John Snorkel/Sail Reviews