3. Seven Seas Mariner
I will preface by saying that I am a regular cruiser and have tried many different categories of cruise lines. Of course Regent is up there with one of the best, and I can definitely say that's where they belong. I went on this cruise with very high expectations, and I am happy to say they were not only met, but exceeded. The ship is very nice and a very comfortable size. Sure, it needs some updating, but there was nothing at all that was unpleasant. The embarkation was organized and easy, but where they had us waiting in Miami was a little strange. We were in some sort of temporary tent building and it was definitely not luxurious. We arrived early so we had run of the ship and were able to take lots of pictures before anyone got in the way. Our cabin was more than comfortable. The shower was huge, as was the walk-in closet. The bed and pillows were comfortable. It was kept very clean and the room steward was very attentive. The verandah was nice and they had thick cushions to put on the furniture if you wanted to sit outside comfortably. The vanity area was perfect for applying makeup and the lighting was decent. The dining room was my favorite. The menu is superb. There are so many choices, and they are all upscale. You can have anything you want and they can customize to any way you like it too. The steaks, fish and seafood choices were better than any high-end restaurant. On one side of the menu the options change daily. The other side of the menu is the same every day with all the standards, and then some. I never had anything I didn't like. The service was wonderful. They bend over backwards to please you. The buffet is small, but there is always plenty to choose from. The pool grill was good, but nothing special. Lots of choices. The activities are limited, but that doesn't bother me personally. I enjoy relaxing and found enough things to do. If you always need to be entertained, you might not find enough going on. The entertainment and shows were decent, though not spectacular as one would expect. I did not like the Regent singers and dancers. I found they couldn't really sing. They were always off tune and annoying. I found those nights to be quite tacky and boring and I stopped going to those shows. We only went when there was a guest entertainer, and they were quite good. The service overall is impeccable. They can't do enough for you. I never came across any personnel who was not kind and helpful and professional. The bar drinks were superb. I am not a big drinker, but I tried a few interesting cocktails and they were always delicious and served with pleasure. The daily trivia game was always packed and people seemed to love it. It was hard to get a seat, so go early. They should do more things like this on sea days. The ports were not that interesting to us (Costa Maya Mexico, Roatan Honduras and Harvest Caye Belize). I didn't mind because I was not expecting much, and I don't cruise for the ports necessarily. I am much more into the cruise experience itself. The shore excursions we took were run very efficiently and were good. It was the Christmas cruise, so it was very busy with families and children. They all looked like they were having a great time, but I would not recommend this cruise for children otherwise. Overall, it was one of the best cruise experiences I have had. You can't beat the value and you certainly get what you pay for, and then some. I will definitely look forward to sailing with them again, particularly after they come out of dry dock. Anxious to see the changes.

Exceeded My Expectations