Viking Sea Cruise Review
1,339 Reviews

Ship beautiful but Amazon boring and dirty

Viking Sea Cruise Review by Plankowner50

• Sail Date: Dec 2017
  • Destination: South America

The Amazon always sounded so exotic to me and when I saw that Viking was doing a 21 day Caribbean to the Amazon it was a must try. Must try because we were on the Viking Sea in Norway July 2017 and were having a wonderful time (save that for another review).

We booked on board the Viking Sea during our July cruise and were ready for our adventure 5 months later.

The first and last part in the Caribbean were as expected with azure blue seas, tropical breezes and some snorkeling. The hurricane damage from the 2017 season was evident though. We were the only ship in port in St. Thomas. Never before for us!

Arriving at the Amazon after 4 days at sea, port of Iles du Salut, French Guiana had to be pasted by due to delay of a container in Barbados. Major disappointment for most on board.

Continuing 1000 miles roundtrip to Manaus, Brazil with 3 additional stops all hit the low bar. Included tours were below expectations with views of notable buildings only from the outside, slums and dirty rivers seen from the buses.

The onboard entertainment with a relatively new cruise director was totally lacking. He told us that the owner of Viking expected us to be racing books. That astounded me! Glad we brought a board game from home or would have been ready to jump ship. The highlight for me was the Piranha fishing in Santarem, Brazil that I paid extra for. Viking has moved low on our list now but still have a 23 day river and pre-cruise scheduled with them this summer.

This was our 39th cruise.

Plankowner50's Full Rating Summary

Cabin deluxe veranda 3025

Cabin and balcony were roomy enough but the furniture and storage was dysfunctional. Not nearly enough drawers space and there would be room for them. A lift up vanity mirror where a desk and drawers should have been mad that space useless. We pack our clothes in 2.5 gallon bags and we left most in the bags and put them on the shelves. An expresso machine took up a large cubby and I moved it aside to store more bags. We were also forward of midship (vs aft last cruise) and it was creaky and noisy.

Walking Tour of Old San Juan

Tour guide Margarita was excellent. Although I have walked Old San Juan independently she gave a lot of insight to the buildings, culture and history of Puerto Rico.

View All 182 Walking Tour of Old San Juan Reviews

Beautiful island and excellent guide. I would love to spend more time there.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Snorkeling

Again because of the hurricane the grass was covered at turtle cove and there were no turtles. I almost expected this but was not informed or refunded. The tour should not have been offered. At this point though, I just wanted to get in the water!

View All 369 Snorkeling Reviews