3. Norwegian Jade
It is important to keep in mind that the Star Trek Cruise is different than the usual Caribbean cruise. Restaurants and bars were outfitted to look like something from the Star Trek series. There were numerous daily events for plans often including interaction with ST luminaries. On the room television, it was ST movies and episodes all the time. Fans would line up for photos with their favorite stars.For this privilege you paid twice the amount of a normal cruise. The entertainment portion was very well run. We walked on and walked off our cruise with only a minimum of waiting. What a change from other cruise lines. ( We didn't even have to wait for the tender at the Roatan stop.) Even though the cruise was sold out there was never the feel of being packed to the gills except when we left.( This was probably due to having so many alternative activities.) We bought a dining package at the specialty restaurants, which was probably the highlight of our experience. The buffet food was average, but the specialty restaurants were superb. Le Bistro was my favorite. We did not purchase the wine & liquor package, but instead charged drinks individually, which wasn't all that expensive. The ship recently received a face lift and everything is shiny and new. I especially liked having a coffee maker in the room. It allowed me to enjoy a cup of tea as I watched the sun come up. We had a balcony room on the 10th deck, which was pleasant. (Not sure why they put the television in the corner and put a huge picture directly across from the bed.) The bed was comfortable and offered a selection of pillows with different firmness. Service was spot on and friendly. What I did miss was the quiet spots that an introvert can go to. The library was turned into a sales venue hawking ST t-shirts and mugs. There was no shielded spot on the main deck where a person could sit. It was a windy cruise and reprieve from the wind would have been welcome. (The Jade boasts a special area for select guests called the Haven with its own pool, hot tub, and suites. They had a shielded area from the wind. We were not able to purchase rooms in this area because it was held for the celebrities.) Due to the weather, there was only two people in the pool in a ship of 2100. Usually, there was no one. There was a definite lack of people sunbathing, but that was probably due to all the activities inside. There was more than enough chairs. The stops were pleasant. I especially like Mexico. (I would have liked more detail on their shore excursion packages as opposed to just ratings. Because I didn't feel like I knew what the excursion entailed, I purchased non-ship sponsored shore excursions by looking at Travelocity ratings.) Our cabin attendant (Lizikia) kept our room in pristine condition and was always very friendly. As part of the ST package we receive a different ST appropriate gift every day. The bridge view which was available in the library on Holland was only available in the small thermal suite in the spa on the Jade. You had to pay to enjoy the view. Their spa prices were average compared to other cruise lines. The big star of the cruise was the photos. The photographers were wonderful, which meant the photos turned out well. We bought a 10 photos packet, which included a free photo ship and an USB drive with digital photos for $150, which breaks down to $15 a shot. We also had the opportunity to renew our vows at sea, which might not be offered on every cruise. As for weather we lucked out with three sunny days, two cloudy days, and one very windy night. Not too much rocking, the cruise was pretty smooth. My husband as a first time cruiser enjoyed the experience very much. He didn't put on his sea sickness bands once. We did not travel with children and there was less than five children on the entire ship. The Star Trek Cruise is not a great time to bring children. They turned the children's club into another sales venue. It actually nice traveling without other people's out of control children running rampant through the place. My only complaint was we showed up at 6:55 for our dinner reservation at Teppanyaki. It is a dinner and show similar to Benihanas. Our table mates, who had obviously been drinking, staggered in at 7:30. We sat at our table for over thirty minutes waiting for them. It is noted in the travel guidelines that reservations would be cancelled if you were over ten minutes late. I also did not get the cocktail I ordered in all that time, either. Never got it. Overall, the chef was delightful and the food was wonderful. I would probably choose NCL again.

Star Trek Cruise 2

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by morgankwyatt

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

I would probably choose NCL again.
morgankwyatt’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 10054
Average cabin with plenty of room under the bed to stow our suitcases. We couldn't hear anyone on either side of us. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. Housekeeping went the extra mile. Minibar was reasonable (in as much as minbars are reasonable.) Decor was soothing. Television reception was good. It also featured a sofa bed, but I can imagine how tight it would have been with three people in the room.

Separate water closet in the bathroom was a nice touch.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    Twelve cruisers in total on tour with an informative and entertaining guide who maintained friendly patter the entire way there. Ruins were impressive and we were allowed to move at a much more leisurely pace than the other groups. Guide took several photos for the clients. We went to a Mayan village were we had lunch al fresco at a family's home. We learned a great deal about the culture and even took turns making tortillas, which is order than you might think.

On the way back, most of the cruisers fell asleep. We were dropped off a block from our ship. Would recommend.

This port was also very friendly. I asked several people if I was walking in the right direction & they not only answered me, but a few walked a little bit with me to help me find The Native Choice offices when we arrived.

There's a huge shopping complex right off from where the ships are moored, too.
    View All 359 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Harvest Caye
    This could have been anywhere since there was nothing to distinguish the place from anywhere else. It was a little flat compare to other cruise islands I'd visited. They need to have more activities on the island. It was pretty, although service was lacking somewhat. Can't imagine what it would be like if two ships arrived at once.
    View All 1,172 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    Driver/guide drives us around the island for the day. We stopped at nature sanctuary, golf course, restaurant, and other places. Michael was an excellent guide who pointed out what were the tourist traps and where to go instead. We felt fortunate to be able to sample local fare as well as see parts of the island that tourists seldom see.
    View All 13,290 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews