3. Norwegian Sun
I traveled with my girlfriend and chose this cruise because of timing and itinerary - December/January - to escape the cold in upstate NY and visit Patagonia in two weeks. First issue is the port of embarkation was changed from Valparaiso, Chile - A great place to visit from everyone's opinion - to San Antonio, Chile - Nothing to write home about - all after we booked the cruise and with no sort of compensation what so ever. The ship is clean, well laid-out and has a full track around the ship on Deck 6 for walking/running. It is an old ship so it is much better decorated than newer NCL ships. The cabin was the most spacious inside cabin of all ships I have sailed so far - a lot of space - a characteristic of old ships - the Sun is the second ship of the Norwegian fleet. Newer ships like the getaway of the escape will give you a closet-size cabin as a comparison. Dining is nothing to write home about compared to other cruise lines - Carnival and most other cruise lines I sailed with offers a better menu in its main restaurants. Norwegian is trying to push its pay extra a-la-carte restaurants like Le Bistro, Cagneys, etc. You most likely find something you like to eat every time in the main dining restaurants but do not expect escargot or lobster at all, just some regular grub. Entertainment on this cruise was particularly low quality even compared to other Norwegian Cruises. Young people dancing and singing and making noise but nothing special. All ports are worth a visit, except for Puerto Chacabuco - there is absolutely nothing to do or see there. With tour, they will take you to a park, maybe a waterfall, and a couple of volcanoes in the distance if you are lucky enough to get a clear sky and they are not obscured by clouds. My recommendation: stay on the ship and enjoy it while the crowds go out. The best ports is Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world, and Stanley, in the Malvinas Islands (Falklands) where you can see penguins and a particular landscape. I hear Valparaiso, Chile is great but I did not get to see it since NCL took it away and replaced it by the Industrial port of San Antonio. Montevideo and Buenos Aires are definitely worth a visit as well. Service was good, no complaints there - the cruise is multi-lingual with passengers from many different countries mostly Latin America and Europe - yet much of the staff did not speak Spanish to the displeasure of many Spanish-speaking folks. With English, no problems. One issue we encountered was when we decided to leave our big suitcases in Montevideo - for ease of travel reasons - and yet continue one more night with the cruise to Buenos Aires. The ship security would not let us leave the ship with our suitcases because we were going to come back to the ship. The problem was cleared up only after heated discussions with the ship's embarkation/disembarkation officer and the port of Montevideo representative. I see this as an infringement of a passenger's freedom of movement. Passengers should be free to take any of their personal item off the ship at any time they please. It is a matter between them and the customs of the port - none of NCL's business. In any case, we were able to do it and the matter is a rare occurrence so I hope that no one will have to deal with that again. Overall, this is a good cruise but NCL can certainly do better in serving better food and remembering that cruises are supposed to be all-inclusive and still provide excellent food and service.

Good Cruise with room for improvement

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by racman54

• Sail Date: December 2017
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Inside

racman54’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Inside
Cabin ID 9335
Great Cabin - very spacious with double bed and a sofa with room to move around - plenty of storage space.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins