3. Grandeur of the Seas
We decided to take this cruise for our daughter who will be graduating from College this May and give her some time to relax and get ready for her final semester. Due to mechanical problems the cruise wa extended 2 days and ended up being a 11 night cruise. The weather was not the greatest but you really can't control that. This ship is one of the older ships of RCCL and it is starting to show its age. I don't know how true it is but I was told by one of the staff members that it is up for sale along with its sister ship. The cabin was in good shape and our Stateroom Atendent appeared to go out of his way to provide use with any of our needs. I would like to first compliment Royal Caribbean employees we interacted with during the cruise. I would have to say they were so friendly and helpful and performed above and beyond of what I had expected. I must say that our Waiter Roderick and Assistant Waiter Partomuan were by far the best group of waiters I have ever had on any cruise. They were beyond excellent. The staff in the stores were also very friendly and helpful. We were disappointed in a few things. First of all the food served in the main dining room I felt was very substandard for any previous cruise I have ever taken. In May of last year my wife and I were on the Majesty of the Seas and in November 2016 we cruised on Viking and I must say that the dinners were fantastic. Actually we felt that Majesty had better dinners than Viking. This cruise however it was not. It appeared that the quality of the food being served was not of the quality I would have expected or of what we found on Majesty just 7 months earlier or the other RCCL cruises we have taken. The best meals we found in the main dining room were breakfast. Lunches were at the same level as dinner. When talking with others cruisers they also agreed with me. This was one of the reasons I have traveled RCCL because of the fine dining that is offered in the Main Dining Room. I noticed all during the cruise that staff was trying to sell us Specialty dining options,. It makes me wonder if they have lowered the quality the of the food in the main dining room to push these dining options? The Windjammer we found to be very good but it appeared that there were fewer selections than we have seen on other RCCL cruises The staff were excellent. Another problem we found was the casino. Grandeur allows smoking in it. This is the only place inside were people can smoke and found it very poorly controlled. There were no smoking areas in the casino but it was completely ignored by smokers making the smell of smoke very unbearable. The staff of the casino made no efforts to stop smokers from smoking in designated non smoking areas. My daughter who came on the trip and is slightly asthmatic sometimes could not remain in the casino for any length of time due to the heavy odor of smoke. A few times she had to take her meds because of breathing problems. I cannot see why smoking is allowed there in the first place in that all you have to do is walk out the casinos entrances and there are doors to the outside deck adjacent. The entertainment was very good and there was a different show every night. In the centrum there was constant entertainment and activities going on all night and was enjoyable to watch and listen. We took shore excursions at each stop thru RCCL and found them to meet our expectations and we all enjoyed them.

Not up to RCCL standards