3. Norwegian Getaway
We chose this cruise because we liked the itinerary and the ship looked great. Overall Ship - still in fantastic condition more than 3 years after launch - decor is not overdone, and all public areas are kept in tip top shape. Carpets look good, windows get cleaned on a cycle at every port, and furnishings are all in good order. Some great call outs - they have an ocean promenade on the 8th floor with bars and restaurants with outdoor seating -really one of the best ways to enjoy the cruise. They also have a rear area called Spice 2.0 - it's essentially a huge deck with a bar and two hot tubs, and a large projection screen. It is adults only - now sailing in January there weren't that many kids at all (ours are late teens so could come and go as they pleased) About the cabins -I will start with this - we come from a family of boaters - so we are very happy with inside cabins. They are small, but for 2 people who are barely in the room, we were fine. We were toward the front of the boat as we booked very late, but the pitch wasn't a problem - actually we had more of a feeling of a side to side roll...There are actually 4 shelves outside of the closet as well as a large shelf over the entire closet and 4 more shallow shelves inside. Lots of space as well in the bathroom - 2 shelves below the counter about 30" long, and 2 above, about 24" long, plus space below the sink. Dining - there are over 25 options on this ship - we have 2 plant based people with us, so we were told by NCL to visit the restaurants on the first day to let them know. We wound up really liking the assistant Maitre'd at Savor, Babozino, so went there most nights. He managed to get the chef to provide our special diners with dishes with tofu or lentils etc so they could have something other than animal meats. We also did the same with the noodle restaurant - again, the Maitre'd just asked that we give him a days notice. We have been on NCL before and loved Cagneys, but with 50% not eating meat, we optedfor the La Cucina Italian. Again, our maitre'd from Savor saw we had a reservation and informed the chef for us so he had something for them when we arrived. We also ate a bit at the garden cafe for lunch and most breakfasts - made to order omelettes, great hash browns, all sorts of other goodies. We ate breakfast one morning at Margaritaville because its totally open to the outside, so that was cool. They have an outpost of a NY Zakarian restaurant - Ocean Blue on board - it looked great. We always skip Teppanyaki and Sushi - we have plenty of good options for that at home. We dined at Le Bistro in the past. We did not do the specialty dining package, so chose ala carte when we went out. It would up being about $80 before tip for dinner, and we go appetizers and dinner, and one dessert. So for 4 people not bad. I looked at all of them as subsidized versions of a real dinner - the prices were all below market. On a sea day, Moderno, the Argentinian Steak place, had a great complimentary lunch, including paella and other entrees, and the opportunity to try the salad bar which was outstanding. The bar between Moderno and Cagneys was so gorgeous, Prime Meridian -I went one evening early just to grab a glass of champagne. I did the beverage package, and since my daughter was in the room with me, she had the soda package. Be warned - any smoothie non alcoholic is not covered on the soda package. We liked sitting outside at Sunsets as well as Sugarcane, the mojito bar. I also went to Mixx a lot because it was outside of Savor - one guy - Edwar - was amazing - the other I think was new. All the pool deck bars got super busy on sea days but they do a good job with the lines. Chair service is spotty. They do have a private area called Vibe but we didnt think it worth it. Fitness - nice gym, but first sea day was so crowded, especially at free weights, it was borderline dangerous. Also if you go anytime after the morning there isn't a wait for machines. Spa - didn't do this time - they did have a good deal on the last sea day. In the past I have bought a day pass to the thermal suite, but didn't have the time to do it and also it doubled in price. You will see on NCL that everything is now a revenue generator... Entertainment - our cruise Director, Andre, was fantastic. Fun little shows in the atrium, etc. We went to 2 different comedians, they were hilarious. The Million Dollar Quartet was well done - my only complaint is the night they highlight (from 1950s) was when my mom was 12 years old - what I'm getting at is that this music is way before my time...20 years before classic rock.. The burn the floor was a total snooze fest - the dancing was very good but literally we walked out before it was over. Again, it wasn't the talent of the cast, but the choices of the music. Activities - we went to Bingo as a family - it was a fun hour. Also I did a little casino slots, it was ok, I'm not really a gambler. We really liked a talk the captain and engineer and the cruise director did on the engineering and technology. Admittedly, we didn't like his answer to why the ship seemed to roll to the side a bit (our thought is once they set a course, they just go, they don't alter to hit the waves differently or to account for wind direction - remember, we boat in the open sea, so know what can be done - unless you want to save gas...) Sustainability - I add this because they are concerned with the impact on the environment (of course using less fuel costs them less) and they recycle just about everything on the ship, including the food, and give the option to reuse the towels etc. Onboard Shopping - Duty free is an outsourced company with their own management staff. They were all superb. Again, just know what things cost before you step on the ship and you will be fine. Service varied - I did have a concern about how they were seating at the restaurants - they just dont seem to be as smooth and almost triple to quad seat tables with one server. Our cabin steward was ok. He never took out used glasses or cups, which I found strange. Overall though, the staff was very positive, welcoming and gracious. I think the automatic gratuitiy being added for the housekeeping staff is a mistake - I think they were better when they knew $$ was coming directly to them at the end. For four of us it was over $400 just for tips. I also tipped the maitre'd who went out of his way for us, and kept some ones out to give to bar staff once in a while. It goes a long way with them. Ports: Roatan Honduras - we booked through West Bay Tours - I found them online and they offered what seemed to be better than the ship tours and our guide was great. She really gave us a feel for what the place was like 40 years ago - a jungle! It was a pouring rain day and lots of potholes in the road. These ships will help them to hopefully improve the economy and opportunities. This was the most "real" port - not whitewashed, no characters trying to get you to take pictures with them, or overly contrived shopping Belize - this is really just their private island, so I call it a beach and pool day. Island is owned by Belize so unlike Stirrup Cay, or Labadee with RCCL, or Disney, food and drinks are not included for lunch. Just be prepared. There were plenty of chairs and a huge pool with a swim up bar. They had kayaks and SUP to rent in a nice size lagoon. Also zip lines, but at 79 U$, not really worth it for my kids just to go over a beach. Costa Maya - We took a shuttle for $3 each to the town of Manahual and walked on to the beach and promenade. We did lunch on our own - we got there a litte latere (around 1 pm) so many of the chairs on the beaches were freeing up. There were 3 ships there that day and getting through their contrived shopping area was so crowded that I don't know how anyone got into the shops. Another group did the water park and loved it Cozumel- we liked this stop the best. We did an intro to scuba package and saw some great fish just off the shore. Also, the shops in the terminal where NCL docks were all very reasonable. We also walked down a bit toward the other terminal and found a great little local bazaar - as always - it's Mexico - don't ever take their first, or second, offer. We went with our late teen children, and they had a great time, the only exception is that due to the time their weren't many other American kids of the same age, lots of Canadians, though, so I don't think they felt they made many new friends, but still had a fantastic trip (probably was better as a family since they weren't always trying to leave us!) We will continue to go on NCL. I did book direct with them and the guy, Miguel, was great. He got us almost next to each other with 5 weeks before the cruise.

The whole concept is a real winner - lots of choices!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by knowzymom

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom
We chose this cruise because we liked the itinerary and the ship looked great.

Ports:

knowzymom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin ID 8413
Small but adequate and plenty of storage for 2 people who only slept and changed clothes in the room. We were all the way forward due to late booking, but 8th floor was a great location and easy to get to all the restaurants and the theater. I would be less forward next time
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    View All 2,534 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Scuba
    they were great with my daughter who got a little wigged out
  • Harvest Caye
    View All 1,145 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    Loved Avi with our tour company, and Zenola our guide. She tailored to us - we went to sloth and monkey farm - amazing - as well as a tok tok boat through the mangroves on the south of the island. Island is a developing economy off of Honduras, so it is real and not whitewashed. They appreciate the tourists and like to show their island off
    View All 226 Island Tour Reviews