3. Independence of the Seas
I was reasonably pleased with the cruise. I had a nice time with my wife. We spent a lot of time on deck twelve soaking up the sun. I even walked around the jogging track while my wife made two different visits to the spa. She certainly enjoyed the acupuncture on the Tuesday and the pedicure on the Friday. Two days we spent at sea with no shore visits. However, be prepared to pay for the visits to the spa. They are not cheap. Walking around the jogging track was free which was nice. However, I would like to point out to the folk on the loungers that they should not pull them out to impede the people walking or jogging on the tracks. There were many thoughtless cruisers, sadly, who had a hard time following basic rules. And common sense. The pool deck was just packed all the time. There was nothing of interest (except for the overworked guy dishing out ice cream) there for my wife and I. We did not watch the big screen movies and we were not interested in the pool activities which included a belly flop competition. There was a solarium with a small pool for adults but it was always packed. There was a bar there (as there are all over the ship) and everyone looked as though they were drinking. In and out of the pool. The solarium looks nothing like the picture you see in the ad for the ship. A bit on the rough side if you ask me but everyone there seemed to enjoy it. We ate at the windjammer every night because it suited us for different reasons. It was quick and easy and I had no complaints about the food except to say some of the breakfast food was not of the best quality. I liked the coffee and the pastries. My wife liked her earl grey tea. However, finding a seat was difficult each morning and you will come across people hogging seats and holding them for other people which becomes very annoying. You are not taking breakfast in a stress free environment although the staff work hard to keep the tables clean. We attended three shows and they were good. The kids performing on the ship were very talented. The band were exceptional. When my wife and I turned up for the 6.00 pm performance of Grease there was a young woman holding six seats for her friends. She caused a problem with some people and as we were sitting next to her we got annoyed. The night before they had been told that they were not allowed to hold seats for other people and there was a notice on an overhead screen. But there were no staff to enforce this rule. R.C. should have this monitored. Left a bad taste. But the show was fine. The port visits were Labadee and Falmouth. Labadee is a man made beach. You won't see anything of the real Haiti. But you will see a lot of Haitians trying to sell you their wares. They hassle you from the moment you step on the island. Nice enough beach but nothing to see or do. Falmouth was the same except I went outside the R.C. compound to see the town and I actually enjoyed it. Although I didn't venture too far away from the ship and the center of the town. As for the cabin it was a nice size. The balcony offered us a view of the ocean we would have been denied if we had been on an inside state room. However, the balcony could have been a lot cleaner. This was down to Royal Caribbean and not the great attendant we had for our room. He was exceptional. Also, unaccompanied children were running around which I do not understand. I had to tell them to stop running a couple of times and you had the kids who pressed the elevator buttons and ran away. Some of the parents on this ship will test your patience. Also, the amenities are geared towards people who like bingo, casinos, drinking and games that did not really appeal to me. It's not really a cruise you want to take if you want a relaxing experience. I've never been on a Carnival cruise but I thought R.C. was a step above the party cruise. They have a cruise director who comes on the tannoy and ends his announcements with "bing bong" which reminded me of something you would hear at a British holiday camp. Along with the staff dispensing hand sanitizer with a cry of "washy washy" which became annoying as well. They don't want another norovirus out break. All said and done, most of the people on the cruise were amiable and seemed to enjoy the experience. No real jerks on the ship but with nearly four thousand passengers you'll meet the odd one. Or two. If you like the party atmosphere and you drink you will like this cruise a lot. If you like belly flopping and bingo you will like this ship. If you are looking for cultural enrichment or want to broaden your mind maybe there are other cruises more suitable for your needs. It was actually a nice enough cruise but do some research before you part with your hard earned cash.

Hit and miss

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Graham7720

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas

Graham7720’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

The cabin was a nice size. Plenty of room for my wife and I to move about. The young guy who prepared our room was diligent, thoughtful and worked hard throughout the cruise. The balcony, however, of a decent size, was dirty and stained although this was down to Royal Caribbean. Happy enough with the cabin.
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans