Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Thayana

• Sail Date: Dec 2017
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 1

This was our second go at Celebrity Equinox. Our first one was July with our daughters (not the best but not bad either), this was our second time in as many months and it was the Christmas cruise. So keep in mind that they were putting a little more into it this time.

EMBARKATION:The PORT was nuts! They need to complain to the port authority for the congestion!! There has to be better flow of traffic it took us forty minutes from our hotel nearby to actually get to the ship!! Once we actually got to the check in it only took ten minutes and we were on board!! Miami port is the worst my husband and I will be checking to see how many ships are in port next time. That may affect our decision.

ROOM: We upgraded to Concierge and we also had a disability room as I am going for knee surgery in a month and needed the bar for the toilet sometimes as my knee locks(the video is up on you tube now) and balcony. Very comfortable although I had to ask for extra padding for the bed, way too hard. Our room steward was really nice made sure we were comfortable and was very informative, a first for us!Never had so much information thrown at us. We did like the little perks of being Concierge. Our own line at embarkation (which was a breeze by the way). and little treats every day. Balcony lovely.

SHIP:was decked out like I knew it would be. Very clean, was happy to see them disinfecting things every day. I know a RCCL line that had a norwalk outbreak just a week before our cruise so it was good to see them being so diligent in cleaning.

SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES: What is with not letting people get into the sky lounge at night just before dinner?!?! Every single night the same thing, nope can't get in it's only Diamond and Elite. By the third night I was steamed!!! I want to enjoy a glass of wine while looking out the front for just ONE night before dinner!! Most nights there was maybe a handful of people in there!! 80-90 percent of it empty!! Do what RCCL does, make half of the room for Diamond and Elite and the other half for just anyone wanting to come up and enjoy the room and bar. Seriously this is a game breaker for me, I'll just choose RCCL in the future if I can't get the amenities I want. There is NOT Enough TRIVIA! And the time of day 3:30 and 4pm EVERY DAY??? People are getting ready for dinner or just getting back on board. We only got to one of the trivias all week! Mix it up! The most activities they had was in the evening, you wouldn't believe how late they were! Some of them at 10:30 or 11:00pm! By 10:30 I was usually so bagged I couldn't make it out to them! Although the white party they had was fun enough I wanted to go to some of the others but they were just too late!

SHOWS: We went to every show. Elysium was the same as last time so we didn't stay for the whole thing. TOPPER was our absolute favorite!! Gotta have more like that one! It has a story and great costumes and variety! The comedians were okay. Carnival still has you beat on that one. The finally show was the most surprising, I loved it! The aerial acrobats were some of the best I've ever seen.

Pools:Hmm very busy as usual, The adult only Solarium was nice but stuffy sometimes. They have a wonderful food and smoothie station that I loved! We had a premium beverage package so the smoothies were covered otherwise you have to pay for them. But the food the put out was free.

Dining: Our Dinning Room staff was top notch. Thank you Michelle,Randy and our Sommelier Namdev (i hope I spelled it right!).I must complement Celebrity on speeding up service in the dining-room. From the moment we sat down to finishing desert no more than an hour and sometimes even less! Fantastic!

We went to ALL of the specialty restaurants.

Murano-delicious as always.

Sushi on Five-too salty at times but fantastic! Well worth the cover charge it's a shame more people don't go to it.

Tuscan Grille-Wonderful! Their plates aren't for everyone, but their sauces are to die for!

AND the WINNER of the best of the specialty restaurants SILK HARVEST! What a surprise!! We wen back to Gulhan twice we liked him so much. And the food! I'm sorry we didn't take our daughters on the lats cruise to this restaurant! Seriously you have to try this place!

The MAST Grill - wow what great hamburgers!! Better than guys burger joint on Carnival MUCH better!

All in all Celebrity restaurants and dining room win for best best food.

The ocean view cafe buffet we went to a few times for breakfast and lunch and only once for a snack after dinner. But what I found with their buffet is the tendency not to change it up. Same every day and night with the exception of the one night they had a crepe station.

Ports of Calls: This is my biggest pet peeve. The change our itinerary twice.

We went to San Juan on Christmas day! Who's bright idea was that!?! The old town didn't offer a lot and a great deal of San Juan couldn't offer anything because of the hurricane damage. Shore excursions were limited and the even the fort was closed for the day. We made the best of it and went in for the very VERY short time we had in the afternoon and ate at Baracchina birth place of the Pina Colada. great food, terrible salsa, fantastic drinks! Suggest highly!

St Thomas: Another Island Limited because of hurricane damage. We decided to take the ferry to St John. It takes a good part of your morning, and they were hit really hard with damage. They were taking people to a certain beach by shuttle but there however, we booked ourselves with ECOtours for honeymoon beach. I think we should have thought this over a bit more. Although the beach was the best we've ever seen, it was remote and don't even ask how you have to get there (the trail we were told to take was horrible!!) and there was no food (they relied on Carambola resort for food and it was devastated!! Again another video we have on Youtube) other than a snack bar and only soda and water. My husband loved that it was off the beaten path and they did have floaties and body surfing boards and chairs, umbrella's, but without food and no booze we were starving by 12:30 and left. I hope they get the place up and running again because I'll bet it was heaven on earth before the hurricane.

St. Kitt's:the saving grace of this cruise. We went to the Marriott and it was wonderful! Great waves! My husband and I love to body surf! Great pool, great food. We're considering it highly for an all inclusive visit in the future.

CREW & STAFF: Great! A great big shout out to DESI at the coffee bar. Thank you for constantly making that extra effort! There's a new Director for everything by the name of

Damien, who was great! He and Dan the Entertainment director were constantly around. Doesn't Dan have any helpers??? he looked like he was constantly run off his feet! He was funny. The Crew and staff work really hard be good to them they look like the work really long hours and try their hardest.

Disembarkation: Wow! This was fast and the best I've ever seen. And the perk of having our own area for Concierge was great because we didn't need to leave until 10am and we were almost the last ones off, but they started walk offs at 7am on the nose and people were stunned! They were still having breakfast! (I like an early walk off instead of waiting forever for them to call it)

All in all I would recommend this ship. With a few detractors like more varied things to do and making spaces more readily available to people it was fun for my husband and I. We would look at this ship again.

Thayana's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 1
Cabin C1 1024

Great cabin. Disability cabin with Concierge. I'll have to hold my thoughts on Concierge for now. I'm not sure it's worth it or not. May have to do it one more time. Hard bed. Great Steward!! Savio you rock!

Beach

Marriott's was lovely will do it again!

Beach

Honeymoon beach on St John's is unspoiled and beautiful. However, we had no way to get there and the trail we ended up taking was not for anyone who has any kind of disability, which I did! Only after did we find out that we could have taken a power dingy, but no one helped us to find that. They had no lunch other than snacks and water or soda so we were starving by Noon. They had small store and a few things we could do butnot much. I would go back if they sorted out someway to get to them and food and drinks (like beer).

Thayana