3. American Duchess
My wife and I have done 29 cruises, mostly ocean but several European river cruises. My wife likes new ships so we decided to do the American Duchess. Overall, the ship is fine but we seemed to notice that dinning room service was lacking. We couldn’t quite determine the problem. Not sure if the dinning room was poorly designed in that the tables were too far from the kitchen or maybe they were under staffed or even poorly trained. It didn’t matter which meal it was all the same. For breakfast it took for ever to get that first cup of coffee and a refill later was sparse. We had to ask for juice always. The waiters seemed to be very busy despite the dinning room being less that half full. In fact some of them walked very fast back and forth from some where but nothing seemed to get done. The waiters were very kind and friendly and apologized often for late food, etc. I have one suggestion, and that would be to hire a helper or two for the waiter staff just to fill coffee, water glasses, rolls, juice, and bus some dirty tables. Some tables were left cluttered the whole time we were in there. The buffets were not any better, sometimes there were no plates or bowls or they were out of soup or salad item,etc. Overall dinning seemed to be very disorganized and at best I would have to rate it 2star. Other guests we talked to concurred. At times my wife and I would bet each other on whether we would get that dinner roll or that second cup of coffee,etc.. Overall, the ship is in good shape, the cabins are large for a river boat, and the staff is very friendly. It is just the dinning experience is not any thing close to 5star. These cruises are expensive, and when paying over $1000 per day per cabin plus tips you should expect good dinning service. In short, we did not find this good value for the money. I think we will stick to European rivers and the Ocean.

Christmas holiday river cruise, Memphis to New Orleans

American Duchess Cruise Review by scottfree

• Sail Date: December 2017
  • Destination: USA
AQSC Marketing, Consumer Marketing Mgr. - AQSC has responded
Hi scottfree, Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. All feedback is taken very seriously and used as a reference as we are continuously striving to improve our guest experience. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment on your American Duchess cruise and it's value. We are proud to say that since start-up, we have seen a constant increase in guest ratings and have worked very diligently to improve our service each week. It is unfortunate that you did not get to experience our crew at their best, but hope that you may reconsider a cruise with us in the future. Again, thank you for this review. Our best, American Queen Steamboat Company
scottfree’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Duchess price drops

No problem here. Cabin was large for a river boat and well appointed.