Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by stanbrat55
- Sail Date: December 2017
- Destination: Bahamas
- Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom
1. Food - Cafe food did not taste good. If you want to stuff yourself - go ahead!
Cagneys and La Cucina - excellent food
Ocean Blue - decent meal, but not worth extra money even with the meal plan
Manhattan - good food, but some of the staff just does not care. For example, our server, Serafina, was standing for a couple of minutes talking to another server in Hindu and holding our ice cream for a couple of minutes. Never smiled, spilled my wine and just "oops, the ship is rocking!"
2. The New Year Celebration - horrendous! Decent music in the atrium, but the are is too small to hold the celebration on the ship of this size. True, there were a few other places - also, overcrowded and nothing special. Even the crew admitted. For comparison, took the New Year cruises on Sun and Pride Of America - excellent! The organizers cared about the decorations, passengers! Sorry, should have posted my thanks before!
3. The captain - this should have been the first item! Incompetent! He took the ship into the storm, knowing what kind of storm it was - 30 ft waves! And, not a single announcement! we could not sleep all night! Leak in the cabin. My wife complained to Hotel Director. His attitude - 4,000 passengers and only 60-80 sleeping in the atrium during the storm, everyone else is OK. This was not true! People slept by the elevators on their decks! Everyone who we talked to, did not sleep, stayed in their cabins and prayed! My wife was able to fall asleep at 11 AM in atrium in a middle of the entertainment! The captain started to make announcements after her complaint. But some nonsense, like we are in the middle of the storm, optimizing the speed and the course!
They took us off the last island 5-6 hours earlier! Couldn't they waited out the storm in some port or anchor behind some island to minimize the damage? They knew what kind of storm was ahead of us. And all we got - $23 per person refund (not even sure what is that for!). And, still, they got to port 8 hours late, supposedly, due to the port being closed in NY. Could have waited out the storm and had a pleasant voyage back home.
4. Disembarkation - poorly handled! True, a lot depends on the passengers. This was the first time that disembarkation was taking hours and hours! Was hot on the 7th deck, nowhere to get water!
5. Cabins - small balconies! We were on the smaller ship, Sun, and had 2 sun beds fit on the balcony. This one - 2 chairs and a table. Closet - next to a bed, where only one person can get to. We moved the bed a little away from it to maximize the space. And, still, only one person at a time could get to it.
6. Entertainment - first time i encountered entertainment that I had to pay for! I rate it poor only because of that!
Hey Norwegian, are you going to reimburse for most of the cruise to hell?
The steward, Rodrigo, was not doing his job correctly. He complained that he did not have his lunch yet as soon as we met him. Asked him to do a couple of things after his lunch - only one thing was accomplished, but partially - to wipe the dust! He only wiped from the phone.
Good thing he was replaced by another young man - Mark. What a difference! Pleasant, quiet and does his job very well!