3. Norwegian Epic
We are a group of 8 that have done 15 or more ocean cruises and 7 or 8 European riverboats. This was our 4th time on NCLand our last. It started even before we set sail trying to book speciality restaurants. We were all linked together and we all had the speciality restaurant package. I had everyone’s booking # and tried to make reservations for the 8 of us. The first time I called, I was told each couple would need to call. Getting nowhere quickly, I decided to try again in an hour and hopefully would get a better agents. No luck but the 3rd Time was a charm. I actually got a rep. that was able to book the 8 of us at 1 table in 3 different restaurants. When we got to our rooms, 1 of the couples opened their cabin door to find someone sleeping on their bed. Apparently the cabin attendant had left the door open after cleaning for all the new passenger and some new passenger decided to take a nap in the wrong room. The cabin attendant was very good about it and replaced everything on the bed and recleanedthe room. The 1st night the 8 of us went to Taste, one of the main dining rooms. It was about 6;30pm when we arrived and were rushed from the moment we sat down. We never went back to the Taste Restaurant, the remaining dinners were in The Manhattan Restaurant or the speciality restaurants. I must say that The Manhattan and the speciality restaurants were very good. The service and food was what you would expect. 6 of the 8 of us are Silver Lattitudes members on NCL and were told when we boarded the ship that all the discounts we were entitled to would automatically be deducted at time of purchase. Not so, when we booked shore excursions we were entitled to a 10% discount but after looking at our account, I went to customer service and they corrected it. One of our couples were told by customer service that they need to go to the shore excursion desk for the refund. It appeared as if you asked 3 different reps. NCL you would get 3 different answers. All 8 of us also had the so called Ultimate Beverage Package which covered drinks up to $15 each. We found out quickly that it wasn’t so Ultimate in that it didn’t cover speciality coffee such as Cappuccino, nor did it cover sodas or even a 16 oz bottle of water. $3;90 for a small bottle of water. Really good at nickel diming. The term ‘miny suite’ sound good but actually the rooms are the same as the regular rooms. These have to be one of the worst designs I have ever seen. The room is no wider than 8 feet and the vanity and sink are in the sleeping section right next to the bed. The toilet and shower are in 2 separate areas. There is a curtain to close off the toilet and shower area, but not the sink. Probably would be OK if both people in the room get up and go to sleep at the same time. I’m an early riser, and my wife likes to sleep in a bit. The design of the ship also was not up to expectations. Having been on numerous other cruise lines, we were always able to find a nice quiet bar for cocktails; such as a piano bar or lounge. Nothing like that is on the Epic. The bars are all in the middle of everything else and very noisy. Another issue with the bars is you could only get certain drinks at certain bars. Frozen drinks like pina colada’s were only available at certain bars. If you wanted a mojito, a pina colada and regular vodka and soda or similar, you actually had to go to 3 different bars. Stupid. On the day we were to arrive in Georgetown, Cayman Island the ship instead tendered in a different area. We were all told that the excursions would still start in Georgetown and buses were available for transportation back and forth. When we got off the tenders there were buses but at $5 pp each way. Refer again to the nickel diming mentioned above. The next day I went to customer service and advised that even Carnival Lines had free transports when we couldn’t get to where the ship was supposed to dock. On the positive side; for the most part, the service in the bars and restaurants was very good as well as the food. The shows were outstanding. We saw the dueling pianos, Circle of Dreams, Pricisilla -queen of the desert and Burn the floor. All were excellent.

15 cruises-never NCL again