3. Jewel of the Seas
We've sailed Carnival and Disney before, but this was our first trip with Royal Caribbean. To be honest, I was somewhat disappointed. While our port itinerary and island experiences were fantastic, I was less than impressed with some aspects of our cruise. My main complaint, which I wanted to warn others about, was our cabin #7587. It's an inside cabin located above the casino. Our room was pretty much directly above the speaker system, so we heard a crew member shouting from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. every night as she ran the slot tournaments. That said, the actual layout and decor of our cabin was good, and our cabin steward was wonderful. Complaints were made re: the noise, security looked into it, but nothing changed re: volume, and apparently we couldn't be moved because the ship was full. Some other cons: - The ship really didn't have a lot of activities on board, and played the same movies over and over. Normally we have trouble deciding which activity we want to do...this time we often found nothing appealing. We attended two comedy shows (the first mediocre) and a magic show (unimpressive). - Also, while some of the food (lunch buffet, dinner at Tides) were good, the breakfast was subpar and I wish the ship had some additional restaurants for quick dining/snack options during the day. There is a spot in the Solarium where you can get snacks most hours of the day, but sadly the pizza was horrible...how can you screw up pizza?! We did pay for room service once ($7.95 service charge! it's always been free on other cruise lines we've been on) but the food was mediocre. - Some areas of the ship were quite nice, while others (ie- faded/flimsy pillows on chairs in outdoor dining area, ripped seating in Windjammer cafe) were showing their age. Also was not a fan of the artwork and sculptures on board. I had expected this cruise to exceed our experiences on Carnival, and sadly in many ways it did not.

Warning re: Cabin 7587

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by C-cruisingreviews

Some other cons:

C-cruisingreviews’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas price drops

• Antigua
    We rented a car and beach hopped our way around Antigua. Snorkeled at Half Moon Bay, and FYI the current/waves were quite strong (we're both experienced swimmers).
    View All 1,546 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Turtle Swim
    Took a Tiani catamaran out for snorkelling with turtles which was awesome. Also stopped at a beach, which was crowded and didn't have much to offer...would have rather had more time snorkelling. Drinks on board were good. Great crew! Would definitely recommend.
    View All 87 Turtle Swim Reviews
  • Zip-lining
    Had a great time ziplining with Big Man Ting and OMG. Appreciated their enthusiasm and desire to share more of their home with us. Super fun experience.
    View All 59 Zip-lining Reviews
  • Sulphur Springs Mud Bath
    I wish I could remember the name of our tour guide, as she was fantastic. Learned so much about the island on our drive to the sulphur springs. The mud bath was fabulous (your skin gets so smooth!) and the buffet lunch afterwards at the restaurant was delicious, with an incredible view of the Pitons. I would definitely recommend it...but warn it is a LONG drive for those with kids or anyone who might get carsick on winding roads.
    View All 47 Sulphur Springs Mud Bath Reviews
  • St. Thomas
    We took the ferry to St. John and spent the morning at Trunk Bay. Knowing the island was recently devastated by both hurricane Irma and Maria, we were unsure of what we would find. While the island will take time to recover, we had a great day snorkelling. Definitely check out the "private beach" beyond the rocks on the far left (when facing ocean). The canteen was not up and running yet, so we had lunch/drinks and Cruz Bay Landing, which was quite good. Looking forward to coming back to this beautiful island in the future.
    View All 4,646 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews