3. Oasis of the Seas
First off, this was my first cruise ever...keep that in mind when you read my newbie opinions. The Oasis is a huge ship and we spent a LOT of time walking. Our cabin was the last port aft cabin. I actually lost a few pounds and never went near the fitness center. And that was on a non-revenue cruise where most restaurants and all drinks were free. I definitely walked off all my meals and other indulgences. The service was excellent. The staff was very courteous and accommodating. The cabin was a little tight but adequate. Personally, I was happy to be ocean-side. Great for quiet and privacy. I don't think I would have enjoyed a room with a balcony overlooking Central Park, the Boardwalk or the Promenade. Those are probably great if you're into people-watching, but you can do that with a better view by joining the crowd and watching from the sidelines. That's such a busy and noisy atmosphere that I needed my ocean-side balcony to unwind. The Aqua Theater's structure was interesting...a pool/dance floor/trampoline/diving boards/fountains. The Oasis of Dreams rehearsals were fun to watch ...there was dancing and diving based on a storyline, then tumbling, then a colored fountain show set to music. It was carefully coordinated between the theater morphing and the performers utilizing the components. It reminded me of Cirque de Soleil. The ice skating show was spectacular. Great costumes and props. They even manage to include a few kids from the audience during "The Ugly Duckling" portion. I don't believe our cruise was full to capacity, but it was still difficult to catch an elevator after shows (and there's 24 of them). There were long lines at Johnny Rockets at times and even longer waits at the Seafood Shack. It was not always easy to find seating for our group at the Windjammer Marketplace (buffet). The food at all three of these were good, but nothing to crow about. Dinners in the Opus Dining Room were good, the setting was classy, and the servers were attentive. I was surprised and disappointed by the way people dressed from the first Smart Casual dinner to the final Formal dinner. Maybe I'm old school, but for those who can't or don't want to dress appropriately for the fancy dinner, why not just go to the Windjammer buffet? I heard from seasoned cruisers that they weren't impressed with the food overall. I never even saw an hor d'oeuvre, but neither did I visit any restaurants other than what I've listed. I was impressed with the artwork on the ship (sculptures, statues, etc.) except for the painters who seemed out of place. I wasn't impressed with most of the framed photos in public areas (mostly birds which seemed to be the overall theme, no focal point, etc.) There are two internet rooms that are very cramped. They have about 10 computers each with barely any room to get in and out. Every time I went, there were people standing outside the door waiting for a chance at a computer (no time limits either) and every screen was viewable from the doorway (no privacy). I did bring my laptop, but to use wireless (free on this trip) you had to first go to an internet room to sign up for it and then the wireless was down almost every time I tried to use it. Some suggestions for those planning to cruise on this ship are as soon as you've booked, sign up online for the shows you want to see and as soon as you embark, sign up for the zip line and surf pools. You have to get on the waiting lists early or your cruise could end before you get your turn, especially in the case of bad weather. Again, it was a big, beautiful ship with lots to do, but even as a newbie, there are some things that could use improvement.

Great Fitness Ship!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Getting_my_feet_wet

• Sail Date: November 2009
  • Destination: Nowhere
Getting_my_feet_wet’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

The cabin was a little tight but adequate. Personally, I was happy to be ocean-side. Great for quiet and privacy. I don't think I would have enjoyed a room with a balcony overlooking Central Park, the Boardwalk or the Promenade. Those are probably great if you're into people-watching, but you can do that with a better view by joining the crowd and watching from the sidelines. That's such a busy and noisy atmosphere that I needed my ocean-side balcony to unwind. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a cabin closer to an elevator.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans