3. MSC Meraviglia
we wanted to try this new ship, which seemed very new and impressive. First of all the embarkation was very long at Barcelona, especially with two small kids. First evening we had a safety drill, we were told to go to the Casino with our MSC cards, where we were checked in, shown a storeroom filled with life-jackets, and shown how to put it on, in about 6 languages. In case of a real emergency, I would not like to think what would happen. Cabin was nice, with a small balcony, very little storage space, wouldn't be enough for a two week cruise. Cabin staff was extremely helpful and did his job really well. Otherwise it was very noisy especially late in the evening when we could hear people stamping about upstairs, or running around the corridors. One night I got up at 2h30 am to see what was going on, and found a group of 8-10 year old Italian kids running around shouting in the corridors. My grandson had a wonderful week at the mini-club and the staff were great there. The main lobby is enormous and it is a luxury mall, with expensive shops (I saw a wooden painted Russian box, for 10,000 euros) paying restaurants, and anything they can wangle money out of you, including a chocolate shop and ice-cream shop. The bars and lounges don't have enough space for a family of 8 who want an apèritif while waiting to go to eat. The Panorama restaurant was very good, with very nice and helpful staff. The food was good, and anyone who says the portions are small don't understand that you can ask for second or third helpings of anything you particularly liked. The Waves restaurant in the morning, was over-staffed, with waiters standing around talking in groups, while the customers waited for someone to come around with croissants, bread or coffee....I prefer Costa's buffet in the dining room where you can get what you want, and also get extras from the waiters. The Buffet upstairs, was difficult to get seating for our group, the staff were not very motivated, the food was ok, but not very warm. The pizza was great...real Italian pizza without tons of tinned stuff stuck on top of it. There was an Ethnic section which was quite good. I think a few micro-wave ovens would be a good idea. Most of the entertainment such as 'Cirque du Soleil', bowling, etc. has to be paid extra. We got plenty of information in the cabin for excursions etc. but not the necessary information about disembarking on the last evening, before we left the ship. The internet which we paid for was very slow, and we hardly ever managed to telephone each other with our mobile phones. We had to stay two days in Civitaveccia near Rome because of bad weather, and missed out on our visit to Malta and were taken to Mallorca instead. We arrived at 4p.m. It took an hour to get off the ship, and when we got out it was nearly dark.....a real waste of time. Getting back on board after an excursion was also very long. Long waits for the lifts when everyone was on board, or at meal times. The reception desk was extremely busy unless you went very early in the morning or late in the evening, and you could have a very long wait, sometimes over an hour. There were indoor pools and jacuzzis, gyms, and other indoor activities. A big melting-pot of nationalities, with people arriving and leaving every day, so it was not possible to get to know anyone else,.Lots of very loud tannoy announcements for the safety procedures for new arrivals, when the bars would close up. ...Lots of lovely staff from all over the world.... All in all an interesting experience, but I would never take such a big ship again, it was impressive, but I didn't think it was well organised.....teething troubles perhaps? I will go back to taking a more human sized ship, where you don't get the feeling you are being seen as a cash-cow.

Fabulous ship, lots of Bling, too big to have a good organisation,

MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review by judyandthegang

we wanted to try this new ship, which seemed very new and impressive.

There were indoor pools and jacuzzis, gyms, and other indoor activities.

judyandthegang’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Get MSC Meraviglia price drops

Nice cabin, not enough storage space, not possible to watch tv from bed.
  MSC Meraviglia Deck Plans