3. Queen Victoria
Lured by an offer of free drinks for the Grills, we thought we would try this Christmas cruise. We have been with Cunard many times, but never over Christmas. The Christmas aspects were great: elegant decorations, carol services, good food, and Santa's visit via the funnel for some very excited children and almost equally excited adults. We were lucky with the weather in the islands, which was bright, sunny, and fairly warm, though we then had to make a dash to a very wet La Coruña to avoid a bad storm. The manner in which Commodore Rynd kept us informed of what was going on was exemplary. Other than the Christmas aspects, we enjoyed all the things we have come to expect on a Cunard cruise. The food in the Grills was very nice, and the service excellent. There was a wide choice of dishes, and we were regularly asked if there was anything else we wanted. The highlight was the wonderfully deliciously unctuous roast goose on Christmas Eve. We were on a table for two, between two others, and were lucky that their occupants were delightful, lively, interesting, and fun. We used our World Club voucher for an Indian meal in Coriander, which was very enjoyable change. Tea, served in the Princess Grill Restaurant, was fine. It felt less cosy than it used to be in the Lounge, but now there is plenty of space for everyone. The cakes, scones, and sandwiches were very good. The Q4 cabin was sparkling and spacious, as one would expect, and serviced very efficiently by the Butler and his assistant. I found the bed was very comfortable, and was surprised that my request to shoreside that it be made up with blankets had actually got through to the ship. Apart from the first day and the last two, I was able to spend some time on the balcony. Embarkation was as efficient as usual, although a lot of people turned up together for parking, but we were soon processed. We did not do any excursions, but simply wandered round the ports, which worked fine, except in Lanzarote, where an excursion would have been worthwhile, as Arriceife was rather dull. Disembarkation was delayed by a potentially serious incident, when an unexpected gust of wind separated the airbridge from the ship. Again the Commodore kept us very well informed. Throughout the ship, the atmosphere was great, and the crew endlessly friendly and courteous. Sometimes I wonder how they manage it. The ship itself never seemed crowded, but has a pervasive elegance and calm. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience, and certainly one I would recommend, if you want to try Christmas away.

Enjoyable Cunard Christmas

Queen Victoria Cruise Review by exlondoner

exlondoner’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Victoria price drops

Penthouse
Cabin Q4 7084
Large, spacious, comfortable, good sized balcony, plenty of storage. Worth the cost for me, as we spend quite a lot of time in it, and I tend to claustrophobia
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins