3. Carnival Breeze
Carnival Breeze Embark from Galveston 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary 5 adults in our party, 3 cabins (balcony) Cruise departure date: 12/10/2017 Please note that I am not normally a complainer. I am hoping that Carnival will read this review and improve their services. I have cruised with other cruise lines and had no cause to complain about the other cruises on those cruise lines (e.g., Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, etc.). I believe the Carnival Breeze may be a training ship for serving staff (but I saw no mentorship for the serving staff), or it may be a ship where serving staff members who have received poor evaluations are assigned as their second chance before termination. I can think of no other reason for the poorly trained serving staff on this ship, primarily for the serving staff in the dining rooms during non-dinner shifts. It is also possible that breakfast and brunch in the dinning room is staffed with servers who may have never worked in food service in their lives and were never trained by Carnival (or minimally so). Every single server at breakfast/brunch, with the exception of one server (I believe his name was Andy), dribbled coffee across the table cloth and across the plates of the guests. I was so relieved and excited that Andy had not dribbled coffee across the table and plate that I told him he was the only serving staff member that accomplished this. His reply,"That's because I was trained." Breakfast and lunch tables were never properly set, always missing spoons, sometimes other utensils, and often bread plates. On my last breakfast onboard, when the assistant server asked me if I wanted coffee, I said, "Yes, but I'll also need a spoon." Not one place setting at the table had a spoon, and there were none on any of the other tables around our area. He did not return with a spoon. When the cocktail server asked if anyone would like a Mimosa or Bloody Mary for breakfast, I smiled and asked if I could order a spoon and (jokingly) a round of spoons for the entire table, bill it to my room, please. He left and came back with spoons and I watched him provid them to the assistant server who had served us all coffee (by then, everyone had used their knives to stir coffee). The assistant server then handed out spoons. Often servers and runners passed plates in front of the seated guests when serving the breakfast/brunch. Many times I had an elbow just a few inches from my nose as a guest next to me was served his/her plate. On the one morning that I ordered the filet steak and I ordered it rare, it came out slightly pink and was ruined. I had to send it back. I wasn't the only person at the table who had ordered their steak rare. All of us had to send the steak back. We ate one dinner in the Blush dinning room, and I have no complaints on the service for that dinning room. We moved to the Sapphire dinning room for all other dinners to consolidate our party. The wait staff was adequate, but could use some polishing. I was on a Carnival cruise (Magic) which departed out of San Juan, PR a couple of years ago. The menu was exactly the same. Carnival needs to hire an actual certified Master Chef and make some changes and upgrades to their menus. There isn't much for vegetarians on the menu and I would suggest a separate menu for vegetarians with options to make the meals vegan, if needed. (I am not vegetarian, but eat most of my meals vegetarian.) From my experience on two Carnival ships the guest list is mostly middle income, blue collar folks, but this should not be an excuse for a menu filled with uninspired, boring, middle-American foods (e.g., spaghetti carbonara, ribs, quesadillas, meatloaf, etc.). Carnival chefs are not bold and I'd say they seem to be about the same level as a mid-level restaurant cook. The blue collar folks are more likely to dine at the buffet to avoid changing for dinner, so please consider revamping that dull menu. By the way, escargot bourguignon is pretty standard fare and should not be considered exotic (but please keep this on the menu). Nearly all announcements, events and entertainment involving the cruise director have the purpose of hawking some service or wares, from the "art" auction (of prints, not actual art) to trinkets in the shops. It became annoying and we eventually made it a point to ignore them and we avoided some of the entertainment events so we didn't have to listen to the initial spiel to peddle the wares. The ship is generally dirty with litter, probably dropped by guests. I saw several cruise staff members pass litter and never pick it up. There was no pride in their ship. There are several shops, but none of them sell toiletries, hosiery, neckties, or other items that one may have a need for while on the ship. Keep this in mind when packing for your trip. Fitness area needs to have a clean space for guests to practice yoga or any other fitness activity that does not require a machine. Spa services, such as massage, are twice what you'd pay on land. I used one acupuncture service for $194.35, which included a tip (a surprise because I've never known a doctor that took tips). Then was talked into booking additional acupuncture services and decided to cancel them later by calling the spa. However, the spa rep would not cancel the appointment, instead transferred my call to the acupuncturist's voice mail to leave a message. No one called back, so I called again and wrote down the name of the spa rep who answered, the time I called and told her to cancel. There is a 24 hour policy for cancellation and 50% will be billed if the scheduled service is not canceled within 24 hours of the appointment time. The charges still stayed on the account until I went to Guest Services to have them removed. My husband received a $50 gift card to use toward spa services, but the prices were so high that even with $50 off the cost of a massage was much higher than what we're used to paying normally, as mentioned above. He passed on the gift and it was never used. A bright note: Anna from Guest Services. I stopped by Guest Services regarding acupuncture services cancellation and charges still showing on the bill (which she took care of), and then added one passing inquiry. My husband and I were both on the cruise to celebrate our birthdays (our birthdays are 5 days apart). My husband was given a gift of $50 toward Spa services (on port days only), but nothing was done for me. Anna kindly explained that these are randomly given out and I told her that it was OK, I was just happy that my husband received the gift. Anna hand made a birthday card for me and sent it to my room. This was so unexpected and sweet that I felt the need to mention the kind deed here and sing her praises. It was a very thoughtful and unexpected gesture and I appreciated it very much.

Carnival Breeze, Is this a training ship?

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by HappyWaves

Carnival Breeze

Embark from Galveston

7 day Western Caribbean itinerary

5 adults in our party, 3 cabins (balcony)

Cruise departure date: 12/10/2017

HappyWaves’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Cove Balcony
Cabin 7C 2294
I would equate the room to a mid to low end hotel/motel room.

We chose cleaning once a day (evening), but I would recommend twice a day so that the steward has enough time to actually clean the room and perform all duties. It's possible that this is the reason the room was haphazardly cleaned.

The bed, two twins combined into one king, was very uncomfortable. It was sagging in the middle of one of the beds (first bed) and was in serious need of replacement. The second bed sagged somewhat and was also uncomfortable, but not as bad as the other. The first bed had been made with a bunched up blanket under the sheets which presented itself as a huge lump (it was quite obvious). We stripped the bed and removed the bunched up blanket. This helped, but the bed was still so poorly sagging that there really is only one solution and that is to replace the bed.

The room was fairly cleaned each day, but it was a crap shoot as to whether we would get the correct number of towels, hand towels and face cloths. Soap was never replaced and the indented soap holder in the sink became a gross, slippery mess by the time we left (this spot was never cleaned during out stay).

Balcony (cove balcony) area was always sandy and dirty. We used towels on the chairs to keep our clothing clean.

Curtains had holes and worn spots and the rod to open and close them was broken off.

We received robes when we asked, but these were never cleaned or replaced during our stay.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins