3. Carnival Triumph
Having sailed most of the ships that have been homeported in New Orleans over the last few years, I was looking forward to the arrival of the Triumph. This 4 day cruise was designed to be a relaxing weekend of rejuvenation for me and one of my co-workers. I have extensive cruise experience (Platinum on Carnival) and this was my co-workers 4th cruise, all with Carnival. Embarkation was a snap thanks to the VIP lines and the embarkation staff in the VIP lounge were super as usual. I think the same people have been there for the last couple of years so it was a bit like seeing an old acquaintance. For those not in VIP, the initial line was very long. They started the process outside in front of the building and continued the line up the escalator to the 2nd floor. At that point carryon's were scanned and then they were directed to the actual check in area. The lines there did not appear to be too long.... they must have been using the outside line as a holding area. The ship appeared to be in good shape. There was some wear and tear on the carpets and walls but that is to be expected in a 10 year old ship. The ship was very clean and the staff was cleaning constantly. Our room, 7415, was in the aft portion of the Empress deck. We loved the location, very little traffic but close enough to the elevators. The room was very clean and our steward, Dennis, was very attentive. We asked for a "sharps" container and had one in minutes. Dining - We had late seating in the Paris Dining Room at a table for 4. Our dinner companions were fantastic. I will always wonder how they so often manage to seat compatible groups together. We talked so much we were some of the last to leave each meal, our waiters were surprised to find the four of us were not travelling together. The food in the Paris was very good. The only entree that really disappointed all of us was the Panko Fried Shrimp. The Melting Chocolate Cake was a huge hit with all of us. The menu had changed a bit but most of my favorites were still there. Service was great. The entertainment was a bit different from the last cruise I took. The Lido buffet was not what I had expected. The food choices were not that appealing and were often tepid at best. We both found the preparations lacking in flavor. Some of the desserts were good and the salad selection was adequate. We did enjoy the Oriental station, perhaps the food was better because it was not so "mass-produced". The pizzas were great as usual and the deli station was good as well. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Paris when we could and enjoyed all of our meals there. Entertainment - Cruise Director, Jorge, was delightful. Kept us laughing. The main shows were well done, great costuming and singing. The first was a very typical revue based on "Around the World" with numbers from various countries and genres. The second was a tribute to Mardi Gras, don't know if it was added to pay homage to the new homeport or not. The comedians were good, the first one was especially funny. He was from New Orleans and used his experiences to flavor his act. Since the majority of the passengers were from Louisiana his jokes were very well received. I especially enjoyed the R & B singer. I had heard her before and always enjoy her performances. The weather was not the best on the trip so the staff was extremely busy organizing non-outdoor activities. They used the area outside the Casino for many of the activities. We really enjoyed listening to the various other performers throughout the ship as well. Staff - was consistently friendly. We had great conversations with many of them especially Maja in the Oxford bar. Odds and Ends - My Co-worker won two reduced priced treatments in the spa. She said both, the Ionathermie and Facial, were lovely. I took advantage of the gym, steam room and sauna. Was sorry to see the Captain's Party replaced by the "Farewell" party on the last night. This party is not well advertised, we only read about it in the Capers and is held in the Rio Lounge at the rear of the ship. I would be willing to bet most of the passengers didn't even know it was going on (my co-worker didn't). The shopping was typical of the ships in the fleet, nothing special. The Internet has gone up in price again. I stopped by to check email a couple of times and noticed that virtually no one was using the computers. I didn't see any sort of attendant the entire cruise. The Triumph is equipped with the interactive TV which makes keeping up with the Sail and Sign charges a breeze. Was a little disappointed that the ship had absolutely no Christmas decorations that I could see. We had cruised in December before and loved the decorations..... it put us in a holiday mood. Debarkation - As a VIP I have priority debarkation. Since my co-worker had bought out Cozumel we could not carry all of our bags so had to do the regular debarkation. In the past we had met in the library and as soon as the bags were cleared (usually around 8) a staff member would escort us to the baggage holding area where we would claim our bags and we would then merge into the line waiting to clear customs at that point. This time we were simply told to wait with the others in the Rome Lounge. Around 9 they announced anyone with Priority or Level 1 status could leave. We were simply directed to the same line as the self assist passengers and told goodbye. I know this may sound picky but it seemed a bit ridiculous to put us in a line with those who had their luggage and were waiting to clear customs when we didn't even have our luggage. In short there was nothing very priority about it. Since this was a short cruise most passengers opted for self assist. Customs Clearance was very quick. We were parked at the terminal and the porter carried our luggage to the car.... well worth the tip. KUDOS to the staff for the way they handled both the SEC championship game and the Saints game. The SEC game was broadcast in the RIO Lounge (as well as in the cabins)and was attended by LOTS of Tide fans as well as a few Florida fans. Sunday the entire Lido deck was converted to a huge open air theater with the game on the big movie screen. It was also broadcast throughout the ship. Since there were SO many Saints fans it made for a great atmosphere. We overheard someone say it was like being in the Superdome! Overall, the cruise was fabulous. I can't wait to go again and hope that next time we can do one of the seven day cruises.

Carnival Triumph - When the Saints Came Marching In

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by sa7776

sa7776’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Carnival Triumph price drops

7415 - loved the location, last regular cabin before the L shaped cabin and then the aft cabins. Close enough to the elevators without being near the noise. Between two floors of cabins so no noise from public areas. Conveniently located for Lido and Paris dining rooms, just a short walk to elevators and then up or down. Some vibration from engines but in general it is not noticable.
  Carnival Triumph Deck Plans

• Cozumel
    Have been to Cozumel many times. We basically just took a cab to downtown to get tshirts from Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlies and the the Hard Rock for the teenagers on our list. We also went to the Tequila Store for the adults on our list. The staff there was very friendly and helpful. Most of the same souvenirs can be found at the shops on the dock if you don't want to take a taxi downtown.
    View All 6,798 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews