3. Celebrity Xperience
We chose this cruise because it was recommended by Butterfield and Robinson. We have traveled three times before on private, Bespoke family trips with them. And previously have stayed in luxurious and unique accommodations. We definitely were unprepared for the Xperience. As we approached the ship we saw the rusted anchor and hand painted Xperience sign on the boat. Celebrity lists the ship as being remodeled I think in 2017. The dining room looks pretty good, the reception area about a grade B. The staterooms are another story. New bed coverings and pillows, the rest I don't think had been touched. This ship used to be the M/V Eclipse which came to be in the 80's. The bathroom is like something from summer camp. We were in room 400, Elite ocean view. The most expensive category on the ship. Our adult children were premium ocean view, the second most expensive category. Our cabin attendant George was amazing,efficient and always smiling- a true asset to this aging ship! But even George can't make up for no wi-fi ( had to ask the hotel manager what the password was and he finally gave it to us written on a post it note)- think we were finally able to connect probably twice in the reception area) a TV that doesn't work( only get channels 21,22,30 and only play old DVD's- most of the time you get only 2 of those channels- sometime none- and never lets you watch a whole movie without cutting out- by the way Celebrity lists this as satellite TV. Celebrity also says you can pick a firmness for your mattress and pillow type- never was asked about that. And the bathroom- hope I can post a picture . The food was always served buffet style. Plenty of variety, the quality was pretty much like summer camp- dorm food . The wait staff is attentive and amazing. We just loved them. I got severe diarrhea on the second day,that's six full days on the ship, a long plane ride home and it's still with me as I post today. We had six people in our party and 1/2 got it. I talked to several other guests and they had the same problem. One night I looked around at dinner and one full table of 8 was gone, with two other tables missing guests. In a ship that holds 48 guests, really doesn't advertise any kind of room service, and has no fast food or alternate dining choices available I think that is very telling. Thank goodness they had a ships doctor onboard. Had we been warned that the ship was, as the wonderful guide Karina stated "more like a summer camp" we would have prepared ourselves and possibly booked another ship- possibly the Silver Seas. The Galapagos is a magical very remote place-but for those who want a luxury experience- this truly isn't it. This trip was probably the most expensive trip our family has booked to date. If you look at Butterfield and Robinsons trips for 2018 they seem to have chosen another vessel for their trips

Old and tired ship in a magical place

Celebrity Xperience Cruise Review by skova53

Thank goodness they had a ships doctor onboard.

skova53’s Full Rating Summary