3. Navigator of the Seas
Also posted this on the discussion boards but thought I would include here too. We travelled on Navigator of the Seas as a family Christmas vacation. A short summary and highlights from the trip. Travelled with my wife and two teenage kids (one boy, one girl). Stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites (Miami Brickell Downtown) the night before. Hotel was good, didn’t use many of the services but the check-in was smooth. Good pub just a few steps from the front door. The hotel stay included hot breakfast which has a very good selection. We also booked a deal thru cruise critic and got two shuttle seats to port included. Purchased an additional two shuttle seats ($8/pp). As always we were up early the day of the cruise excited for our adventure. We were at Starbucks down the street by 6 am! Took a 10:30 shuttle and arrived at the port (~10-15 min ride). Check-in was very smooth and we walked right thru all the various security and check-in lines. We were onboard by 11:30 and rooms were available by 1:00. We had a balcony room with kids directly across the hall in an interior stateroom. Rooms were in good condition and our room steward was excellent. Always very friendly and the room was kept clean with a few towel animals on various nights. The cruise director was Cuddy who did a fine job. He was funny during the belly flop competition and Love and Marriage game. The nightly entertainment was some of the best I’ve seen (we’ve been on 8 cruises). The juggling act, the hypnotist and comedian were top notch. We didn’t use the pools at all but they did look busy, but not as noticeable of a party atmosphere on the pool deck as some of the other cruise lines (i.e. Norwegian and Carnival). There was the normal completion for deck chairs, but in my opinion, if you want a seat by the pool get there early. If you just want a seat there were lots available especially on Deck 13 fwd. We ate a Giovanni’s (twice), Sabor and Chops. I was a little disappointed with Chops but Giovanni’s was outstanding. The food was fabulous and our waiter (Johnathan) was awesome. The main dining room service staff was also very good and we enjoyed having dinner there all the other nights. I must say, I can’t get over some guests on board and their need to complain. One morning at breakfast in the dining room, a couple was seated at a table next to us. After maybe two minutes the man got up muttering ‘this table is awful, no one has come to see us yet’ and went to complain. Relax people you are on vacation, the staff are working hard. In my opinion there are many people with expectations that are too high. Since we were sailing over Christmas the kids got a free gift from Santa and there were lots of other Christmas/holiday themed events. Well done by Royal. We all ordered the beverage package and internet combo before we sailed. The internet was brutal, awful, and terrible. Royal should be embarrassed by the price they charge for the service provided. One day my daughter couldn’t login at all. Only after standing in line at the Voom desk with 20 other people was the problem resolved. Royal needs to work on this big time. At Labadee our ‘Speedboat and Snorkeling’ excursion unfortunately got cancelled. Boat motor issues after first tour of the morning (we were booked at 11:00 tour). Curacao was spent walking downtown to do some shopping but it appeared that a number of the stores were closed (due to boxing day?). We had reserved a beach day at the Curacao Hilton (thru Resort for a Day website). The resort was nice but beach very small and crowded, tough to get a chair. However, the snorkeling (equipment for rent on site) was outstanding. Best of the beach snorkeling I’ve seen. Day included $25 food/beverage voucher for each person. We ate in pool side restaurant with service very very slow and food just okay. Bonaire we went snorkeling with Epic Tours Bonaire. We did a last minute booking (after Labadee excursion fell thru). They were quick to respond (even on Christmas day). Great excursion with a nice sail and the snorkeling was outstanding. Good amount of fish like Curacao but the coral was even better. We were also very surprised by the amount of shopping available at this port, we had not expected much based on pre-trip reading, however we were wrong. Nice shopping areas and very friendly people. Last stop was Aruba and did the De Palm Island excursion booked thru Royal. Okay excursion, not the best of views (with power plant or something on the shore). Generally pretty crowded but overall the family had fun. Snorkeling, zip line, air jumpers and other activities available. All trips must come to an end unfortunately. Debarkation was okay, about 30 minutes behind schedule from our designated times but generally pretty efficient. We were at the airport by 11 and on our way home. Overall a great trip, Royal did a good job and Navigator of the Seas is a great size ship in my opinion. Lots of things to do, easy to navigate and never seemed overly crowded.

Navigator Christmas Cruise

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by mbanx

Also posted this on the discussion boards but thought I would include here too.

mbanx’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

Room was great, love having a balcony.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans