3. Independence of the Seas
We chose this cruise because of the dates and price. We were able to go the week before Christmas and save a great deal of money. We are 2 professionals and 2 girls, 12 and 15. We had 2 side by side inside cabins, 6467 and 6469. I paid $848, including fees for each room. I booked the cruise in May We spent the night in Ft Lauderdale the day before at Marriott Beach Place towers and loved it, except the parking. Plenty of room in the 2 bedroom villa. The day before embarkation we hung out at the beach in the afternoon and went to Sawgrass Recreation park in the morning. The day of embarkation we went on a Carrie B tour. We knew w were going to be boarding late because of the Norovirus outbreak on the cruise before ours. RC gave everyone a $20 OBC because of the delay. We dropped of the Dollar rental car about 4. Dollar is right outside the port gate and I highly recommend them. We gave the porter out 4 carry ons and q 12pk of water and $5 tip. Boarding and check in was not bad, maybe 30 min. Rooms were to open at 5pm and we checked out the pool area a few minutes and by then they were ready. Luggage arrived and we had no issues. Ship was clean and hand sanitation was enforced. I was not put out and glad to have it. Did not see anyone sick , but later heard there were a handful of cases on this cruise. We had MTD reservation for 6:15 every night. This worked well for us. We were given a great table for 4 by the window on the first night. We requested to keep that table for the cruise and were told OK as long as we were on time for the reservation, they would not hold it for us. Well, we were on time every night and received out able every night. Food and service were great no issues other than my fish being a little fishy once. Kids got to try a lot of new things and did not mind the long dinners at all. We ate all breakfasts in the MDR also, as we were never beating the clock to get off the ship. Our teens enjoyed the teen club and spent several hours a day there. We were glad to not have them tagging after us the whole time. The 12 year spent a lot of time there, but she would rather not spend time with her boring family. She really enjoyed staying out late and does not know the meaning of relax. She makes fast friends and everyone loves her personality. 15 year old went to the shows with us and then went down to the teen club. Shows were excellent, we had Grease, which was top notch ( but more obviously vulgar than the movie, BEWARE for tweens) and Illusionist, and a cappella group and Once upon a time. Ice show was also excellent. We are not late night people, so we were in the room by about 10:00 every night. We would watch a little downloaded Netflix and then go to bed. Kids would come back to their cabin about 12 or 1 every t night. Ports were Cozumel and Costa Maya. In CM we went to Tropicante and enjoyed the day there. In Coz, we went to Chankanaab and loved it. We have been there 3 times. Both times we did our own thing and took taxis to get there. The room was always clean, food was good, ship was clean. We had no issues. We took on 4 bottles of wine, 2 per cabin and that was enough alcohol for us. Pool was crowded on sea days, but that is the norm. We were up early and had no trouble getting places. We enjoyed the cruise, our second. Our first was on Freedom OTS 3 years prior. We had a balcony cabin and left the kids home on that cruise. I thought I might not like the inside cabin, but it was fine for the money. Everyone had their own bed, which was great. Kids next door worked out fine. I cannot imagine all 4 of us in 1 cabin. All in all I recommend the Indy. Debarkation took one hour, we took our own luggage and walked off the ship at 8am and were out of customs right at 9am.

Fun Family Time, Great Service

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by rucingok

All in all I recommend the Indy.

rucingok’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

We had 2 cabins, 6467 and 6469. I chose them specifically because they were not on the main corridor. The rooms were not connecting, Hallway was quiet and we would stay in these again.
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans

• Beach
    Took a taxi to Tropicante, $10 with tip. Had made a previous on line reservation. It was a nice beach day. We are not drinkers so we did not want all inclusive. We ate a big breakfast before so just snacked on and off all day. Food and soft drinks totaled about $50
  • Snorkeling
    We did Chankanaab park. Our third visit here and we love it. Took a taxi and were on our way. Thye close at 4 and we stayed until then. We only did the included activites and we brought our own snorkel gear. We had a big breakfast so just snacked on and off all day. Spent about $40 on that, entrance fee was about $80. We bought pics, which were $20. Taxied back. I think it was $12 each way.
    View All 436 Snorkeling Reviews