National Geographic Quest Cruise Review

One of the Best Weeks of My Life

National Geographic Quest Cruise Review by Jockwhittlesey

• Sail Date: Dec 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America

This was our first Lindblad/National Geographic cruise, and it fully delivered on all counts. The focus is on seeing the environment, birds, and animals of the area, with a Panama Canal transit as a bonus. The ship was modern, in perfect condition, beautiful, and a real ship (not a mall.) I had some of the best meals ever on board - the rack of lamb comes to mind as a real winner. The ship’s crew plus the naturalists on board were excellent, and really added to the overall experience. I would like to compliment the naturalists in particular. They were true professionals - friendly and knowledgeable, and with decades of experience. There was a lot of discussion of photography, and several of the naturalists were excellent photographers. Going through the Panama Canal was surprisingly thrilling. You really got a sense of the historical magnitude of the canal as an achievement. The small scale of the Quest (240 feet long, 12 foot draft, less than 100 guests) meant that we visited small, intimate destinations and did not overwhelm them. Looking at seabirds such as frigates and the famous blue-footed booby from a zodiac was super fun. I got to try paddle boarding for the first time in a perfect setting - it was total enjoyment. Days are full, starting with a 7:30 breakfast and an 8:30 excursion, normally with another excursion in the afternoon and lecture or presentation at night. A great job all around by Lindblad/Nat Geo. No weaknesses. Expensive but worth it.

Jockwhittlesey's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Observation deck 105

Two large windows. We stowed empty suitcases under the bed. Our cabin was on the observation desk, and had the largest room, but I visited the other types of cabins and a they all looked pretty spacious and comfortable to me. Our room was set up as a triple: a queen bed for me and my wife, and a single for our teenager. Bathroom was clean, spacious, and in perfect condition.

Previous Review