3. Seabourn Odyssey
As a long time Seabourn cruiser (22+ since 1997), I was a bit disappointed with the many things that are no longer "Seabourn Style"... No champagne waiting for you on a tray as you embark the ship. No one beaming and saying "Welcome Home" as you board, recognizing you from a precious cruise, or greeting you after returning from an excursion other than security checking you in. No check in while sipping champagne and nibbling canapes in the lounge waiting to be escorted to your room. The gangway person pointed to a crew member near the elevator, who simply punched deck 8 and told me to enjoy my lunch at the patio bar. No explanation, no choice given to dine elsewhere. Honestly, out of 350+ crew, I only recognized FOUR, who have now been promoted. They do seem to be bringing all new crew to the 'older' ships now to train for the new ships coming. The majority of crew I met were on their first contract. Seabourn boasts that the crew members will greet you by name after the first day. That didn't happen until the 5th day, and then only after I mentioned that was lacking at a hosted dinner table. Then the 'upper' crew knew me, but still not the more than 2 or 3 of the crew. Service the first 3 to 4 days was dismal. At breakfast in the Collonade, I would be almost finished with my breakfast before coffee or water was offered. This improved after day 5 when I figured out to sit in the same spot each day near the service area so I could flag someone down. I do expect better service on Seabourn than I receive at Denny's. I was assured the first night that I would receive the traditional invitations to join a hosted table for dinner. That didn't happen the second and third nights. In the dining room, most nights the dessert was served as the main show would be starting, causing us to either miss dessert, or walk in late to the show. How can dinner take more than 2 and a half hours??? If I had not sailed on Seabourn over the last 20 years and experienced the exceptional, intuitive service with everyone knowing my name by the second day, or expected what the brochure still promises, even after the things they no longer do, this might have been a good experience. For those passengers that are moving up from lesser lines, this is still a good product. The ship was not decorated for Christmas. Not even one bow!! Very disappointing. I understand they are trying to save money wherever they can, but really?? No Christmas? Every other ship I have sailed on during December always had decorations up by Dec 1st. The bar is now self service sodas, wine and beer for lectures in the grand salon, and only self service popcorn and sodas for the afternoon trivia games - I have never seen that before. How is that 6 star service???? I don't see much difference now between Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania, and Ponant so I will shop by the best value and itinerary. Yes, Seabourn has the larger suites, but I am rarely in my room. I would rather have better service for the money or spend less and still get better service than I just experienced on Seabourn. On the positive side: The food was amazing and Chef Tom (not Keller) is one of the best I have seen on the Seabourn ships. The singers onboard were fabulous! Brett and Ashley Ricci have stunning voices. Her Opera songs were amazing (and I am not even an opera fan!) The cafe at Seabourn Square is divine - perfect for an early coffee and danish or a late afternoon treat with decadent cookies and desserts!! The beach BBQ at Carambola's was great. The spa is great, the 'sound bath' meditation class was a nice addition. Overall, I am hoping that this little glitch is just growing pains similar to what we went thru on the little ships when they were training new crew for the Odyssey, Quest and Sojurn. I am come back after they are done training...

Not the same Seabourn of past years...

Seabourn Odyssey Cruise Review by SeabournGirl

• Sail Date: December 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Seabourn Suite

No champagne waiting for you on a tray as you embark the ship.

On the positive side:

The beach BBQ at Carambola's was great.

The spa is great, the 'sound bath' meditation class was a nice addition.

I am come back after they are done training...
SeabournGirl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seabourn Odyssey price drops

Seabourn Suite
Cabin A 431
The cabins are spacious, with a curtain to close off the living room from the bedroom should one of you want to sleep later. Ample drawers and closet space.
Deck 4 Suite Cabins