3. Island Princess
We chose this cruise for 2 reasons, first we wanted to see the Panama Canal, and second we wanted to try Princess since my cousin who is a frequent cruiser raves about Princess. We arrived in Ft Lauderdale a day early and stayed close to the cruise terminal at the Hyatt Place. At 3 PM the day before the departure, we recived an email that the ship was coming out of drydock and was going to be a day late. As a result we were going to skip Aruba as a stop. We were fortunate in being able to stay at the Hyatt Place a second night, and boarded the Island Princess a day late. Princess lines did compensate us for the missed time and extra hotel night. Upon boarding every thing looked okay, except there were workers rewiring and fixing things all over the ship. We were told all the beds were replaced with new mattresses. I had booked a mini-suite in order to have a bathtub; so we would have upgraded bedding and a larger shower. The mattresses in our room D333 were totally different, one was firm and theother very soft. The attendant assured us both mattresses were identical, but agreed that one was soft and one was harder. He promised to try to get another mattress and did. FIRST PROBLEM solved. The second day I was standing at the sink brushing my teeth and felt my feet getting wet. The drain pipe had separated from the sink, and the water was gushing on the floor. I reported this and 3 hours later was told it was fixed. I went back to the room and noticed it was not fixed. I shouldn't have to deal with aggravation like this! I called the Guest Services manager and he came with the plumber who said he had fixed it. I showed him the problem and had to supervise him so it got fixed properly. SECOND problem fixed. The shows on the cruise were mediocre with one performer at each show, when we saw them. The shows alternated being scheduled for 5:30PM and 7:30PM, or 7:30 and 9:30. We had the dine anytime plan and usually chose to eat betunctional the entire ween 6 and 7 PM. This meant we missed the shows on the early schedule. Since the performers were mediocre compared to other cruises I have taken, missing the shows was no great loss, but there was not much else to do in the evening except go to the casino. The laundry rooms on each floor had at least one machine non-functional the entire cruise, since there was no one qualified to repair the washers on board, they stayed broke. I wonder what they did during drydock? The food was good, I have had better and I have had worse. One night we splurged and ate at the Specialty Sabatini's Restaurant. My advice to you is SAVE YOUR MONEY. The food was no different than the Bordeaux dining room. We booked all but 1 excursion privately, and found it very worthwhile. We used Princess for the Huatulco Highlights and we enjoyed it. I put a separate review of our other excursions on Trip Advisor. Overall, I think we will think twice before booking Princess again.

Not what I expected

Island Princess Cruise Review by americ

Overall, I think we will think twice before booking Princess again.
americ’s Full Rating Summary
Get Island Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB D333
Size was okay. Mold on the shower tiles. Sink Leaked. Mattress was mushy at best. Our attendant June tried very hard but was limited in what he could do to help. His beeper was broke most of the cruise.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins