3. Celebrity Silhouette
Prior to this cruise, we’ve sailed three times, all with Celebrity and all on the Millennium class ships – The Connie, The Summit and The Infinity. This was our first cruise on a Solstice class ship. Something I discovered on this cruise is that for many, the Solstice class ships are the only ones in Celebrity’s fleet. They are not aware of the Millennium class or the ships in it. This was rather heartbreaking to me as I love the M Class ships. The Silhouette is a much larger, newer ship then what we were accustomed to and it came with a fair learning curve. It seemed to me that the passenger population is a bit larger than can actually be handled by the facilities and crew. There seemed to be lines for everything, waits for everything. Life classes fill up fast and fill up early, so if there’s something you really want to do, show up at least 45 minutes before the class. We showed up 30 minutes early for a water color class and were turned away as it was already full. To be fair, they did open up a second class, which we did get to attend, and I can tell you, it was full too. The buffet seemed bigger than it is on the M Class ships, but the food didn’t rotate much, so you learn to adopt a strategy of sticking to an island of food so you can have something different the next day. I wasn’t particularly a fan of the way the Oceanview Café is laid out on the Silhouette. When you are looking for an available table (and you will have to hunt for an available table) you cannot travel in a circle around the buffet and remain inside as you can on M class. If you want to avoid wind, rain, heat, cold, etc, you can only travel in a U shape around the buffet. Another thing we learned, the early theater shows are less crowded and it’s possible to show up right at 7 and still get a seat. Do not try this at the 9pm show. There will be no available seats, and there will also be a few rows of people standing in the back. Opt for show, then dinner. A very substantial disappointment for me was the lack of a Thalassotherapy pool. There is a solarium pool, but it is not heated, nor does it have all the relaxation features that the Thalassotherapy pools on the Millennium class ships have. I really missed being able to relax in a Thalassotherapy pool after a long day in port. So, enough of the grumbling. Let’s talk about the Silhouette’s positives – Lawn Club Grill – oh my gosh, if you haven’t been yet, consider it mission 1 to make your reservation. Fantastic food, awesome sunset views, great atmosphere, an all around exceptional restaurant experience. Il Second Café al Bacio – right in the buffet! Get your latte, cappuccino, espresso, whatever is your morning pleasure, right there in the buffet, no need to make a detour on your way to the buffet. Brilliant idea. I definitely took advantage of this every single day. Café al Bacio – much bigger than on the M class ships with lots of comfy chairs around tables to sit and talk, savor your coffee, your day, your company. It’s a great spot. Loved it. The main pool / sun deck – I thought this was designed really well. Lots of canopied areas give you some relief from the sun and still let the breezes flow. If you want full on sun, there’s also plenty of space for that as well. I also liked that the jogging track was a complete circle. Definitely easier to keep your stride. Our itinerary was great. Had we been able to do the original itinerary, all the islands would have been firsts for us. However, St. Kitts, which we’d been to before, was substituted for St. Martin. We did the beach horseback ride in Antigua. The beach was pretty and riding bare back in the sea was pretty cool, even if it’s not the most comfortable ride. We did the night submarine ride in Barbados. If you are claustrophobic and are sucking it up because someone you love wants to do this excursion, do be prepared, when you are fully 145 feet below sea level, they turn off all the lights plunging you into complete and total darkness, and despite any pleading, those lights won’t come back on for a good minute. Other than that little collapse into an anxious panic, the rest of the tour, I did great and it was pretty interesting. Definitely not your run of the mill port excursion, so give it a try if you get the chance. St. Lucia was a catamaran ride to the spectacularly beautiful Pitons. The beach underneath was pretty. It was also pretty rocky. Absolutely bring your water shoes. Because we’d been to St. Kitts before, we took the catamaran to Nevis. The lunch was served on the catamaran and was really, really good. We had an hour at a very nice beach and then headed back to the ship. All things considered, it’s a great ship and definitely one worth sailing with the right itinerary. However, at this point, I still prefer the Millennium class. We booked out next sailing mid cruise, and plan to have a great time once again aboard the Connie.

Compared to Millenium Class ships, there are hits and there are misses

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Sammigar

Sammigar’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2 1120
We were in cabin 1120, which oddly enough, is on deck 10. It’s a concierge cabin. This particular cabin has the bed near the balcony. This doesn’t seem as roomy as having the sofa near the balcony. We adjusted for this by tucking the small table under the make up desk to create a little more space to navigate around the room.

This cabin is the first one on the return from the hump, so the balcony is huge – the largest balcony without going into an aft concierge cabin. Because you’re on the aft facing return, the balcony is not real windy, so you can easily sit out there with a magazine or newspaper even when the ship’s in motion.

They actually deliver the afternoon savories you hear about in the cabin description. If you’re not into seafood or sushi, it’s not impressive. Ditto if you don’t like or can’t eat cheese. A couple of times, there was a devilled egg on the plate and a couple of other times, there was a small sandwich quarter.

The concierge published her desk hours in the daily newsletter and was very helpful in providing whatever assistance you needed. She confirmed dinner reservations for us a couple of times when the restaurant didn’t send a little reminder card and was very helpful explaining disembarkment procedures amid the construction going on at the terminal in Port Everglades.

She also arranged a sail-away party on the helipad which was a really different experience and made for great photo ops. It was also an experience available only to us in Concierge class, so it felt pretty special.

One more thing I want to be sure to mention about the room. While it is very close to the elevators and main atrium of the ship, it was surprisingly quiet. There were always chatty people by the elevators and music from the atrium would wander up to the 10th deck. However, after exiting the elevator and rounding the corner, all that noise disappears and your cabin is a haven of peaceful quiet.

I highly recommend this cabin.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Horseback Riding
    The horses were older and set in their ways, so they moved at a slow pace and basically "followed the rut" so it's great for inexperienced riders. Those who've ridden horses before are going to be board. The beach however, was beautiful.
    View All 8 Horseback Riding Reviews
  • Submarine Tour
    We did the night tour which my husband thoroughly enjoyed. I kept my claustrophobia under control and did fine until we were 145 feet below sea level and they turned out the lights. If your claustrophobic and concerned, do the day tour.
    View All 11 Submarine Tour Reviews
  • Catamaran Tour
    We did the catamaran sail to Nevis. Lunch was served aboard the catamaran because apparently the beach were they used to serve lunch got messed up in the hurricane. We sailed by, it looked good from the catamaran. Anyway, they did find a nice beach for us to swim for about an hour. The lunch they served was really, really good.
    View All 113 Catamaran Tour Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    We did the Snorkel under The Pitons Catamaran Sail. The Pitons are incredibly gorgeous and being able to snorkel in such a beautiful place was really nice. The water is very clear, allowing for a great view, there's just not that much to see. There is some coral and a few colorful fish. That was fine, we got out and just enjoyed the beauty around us. Recommend water shoes for this excursion as the beach at the water's edge has a lot of small rocks.
    View All 54 Snorkeling Reviews