• Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions
Silver Wind Cruise Review

First time Silversea cruiser, and enjoyed the trip!

Silver Wind Cruise Review by AndrewBaker

• Sail Date: Nov 2017
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite

I like re-positioning cruises, for the days at sea; having cruised so many times and places since the 1970s. Overall, my trip was good: and put me in mind of Royal Viking (though maybe not quite so good on some things, perhaps due to time moving on, and standards not so high now as they were many years ago).

It was disappointing that a refurbishment was being done during the cruise, instead of in dry dock (as, in my view, it should have been). This meant inconvenience from such things as materials being stored in passenger deck space, paint smells being unavoidable at times, whilst painting - and stored paints not properly sealed - was going on.

Also furniture, carpets, curtains and such, was being changed such that the decor was not at its best. Also, who thought of a wavy line carpet for a ship's passenger area?! (If you weren't feeling seasick before, well ... {though i do not suffer from this personally})

The bartenders were not up to the standard of Fritz, my old Swiss trained mixologist from Royal Viking days, and didn't work as fast as him either; nor able to hold a conversation at the same time, as he did!

But, every member of the crew, ship and hotel side, was eager to help, friendly, and keen to be assured that they were doing what was wanted; even though at least one passenger gave them a hard time all the time. This included bar, restaurant and entertainment staff. Definitely six star cruising on that score.

The ship itself wasn't the most modern (hence, maybe, the refurb), but facilities were acceptable, if not top notch. My stateroom was well looked after by both Lorenzo, the butler, and the maid (whose name, shamefully I have forgotten; perhaps because the wrong name was put on my card in my stateroom). Breakfast in my stateroom was always promptly brought, and enjoyable; and the cleaning first rate.

Dining was not set, so one could eat wherever and with whoever one wanted; and there was 24 room and food service, if that was required. Given that it was all-inclusive, it took an effort not to overindulge in alcohol, and in making that effort, I discovered that the no-alcohol wines on board were very palatable, to me anyway. The food itself was good and varied, although the meats were not always cooked to the degree requested: but were always re-cooked/re-done when queried.

The entertainment was alright: no big (fading) names, and no-one likely to become big, in my opinion; but enjoyable when one made the effort to attend a show.

I only took one shore excursion, which was ok, and enjoyed more for the visit to Rick's Bar (yes: I know the film never got any nearer to Casablanca than a Los Angeles airport for the final scene), as Casablanca is my favourite film.

Don't cruise Silversea if you've got children with you: there is nothing for them, and they would be bored.

I travelled as a single, and the 25% supplement is less than other lines offer: which given the fares, was very helpful. However, I was disappointed at having to pay over $400 for 24/7 wifi and internet access. One hour a day free is not enough, and easily exceeded if one forgets to log off, which many do. At these cruise prices, free wifi all of the time should be standard.

I'm in the process of trying to book my next Silversea cruise, so yes, I will cruise them again.

AndrewBaker's Full Rating Summary

Vista Suite
Cabin VI 510

King bed, walk-in wardrobe, bath/shower, veranda with table and chairs, colour TV (and cd/video player, I think?), and plenty of storage inside and outside the wardrobe; plus a fridge, stocked with whatever drink was wanted.

Butler and maid service was excellent.

Casablanca

I only went to visit and eat at Rick's Bar (as in my review). The earlier part of the trip took up two hours at a mosque, and the latter part after lunch, was sightseeing and a very ordinary are museum.

AndrewBaker