3. Caribbean Princess
My husband and I chose this cruise for the port stops, it was just the two of us. We initially planned to take a trip to Ireland but while researching our trip I happened across this cruise and we decided to book this instead. I did a lot of research and saw some bad reviews with regard to the state of the ship. I was happily surprised to see that it had gone in for renovation and was equally happy with what we saw once we boarded the ship. The accommodations were pretty great. We flew into Heathrow and took the National Express bus to Southampton. That was pretty easy process. We purchased our tickets on line and printed them before flying to London. The bus terminal is a short walk from the terminal, all indoors and connected to Terminal 3/2. The ride was fine and tickets inexpensive. If you choose this open I advise you to arrive a day early just to have a buffer because stuff happens. We didn't have any issues everything was on time but we did encounter people who did not have a buffer and suffered the consequences. Once we arrived to Southampton bus terminal we simply took a taxi to our hotel, Holiday Inn Southampton. The taxi stand is on the front of the building, we had to wait a few minutes but it was fine... The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of the ship terminal, if you don't pack too heavy you can walk to the ship terminal, we did. However if you don't want to walk, taxi's are available. The hotel was clean, typical small European room but fine. The hotel employees were great in directing us to surrounding attractions and places to eat. The Quay across the street offered nice restaurants and shopping for any forgotten items. Also really nice English pubs within walking distance of the hotel. Embarkation was extremely smooth. We've cruised before on other carriers and this was by far the smoothest and quickest process. Our room was nice, clean, really good service and friendly staff. The food on board is just OK, none of it was really above average and definitely needs work, across the board. The crew members we had contact with were a pretty fabulous group of people, nice, considerate. I have to say, the average age of the passengers on this cruise is probably 65 so be sure to pack a lot of patience if you take this cruise. We found ourselves frustrated with the behavior of some of the elderly patrons on this cruise. I won't say any more just remember its a vacation and don't let external situations ruin it for you..... Like I said the itinerary is what drew us to this cruise and that was pretty great. We were fortunate in that we made all our scheduled stops and the weather was pretty great. It only rained on two days and there were people on the ship that actually used the outdoor pool and hot tub because it was warm/hot enough. Read the daily Princess Patter because they provide a lot of good information. We didn't take any of the cruise excursions. There are some very reliable tour companies that cater to cruisers and are half the price of the very same cruise excursion. Paddy Wagon, Wild Rover, Wow Scotland and Viator to name a couple. All were very easy to book, very professional, very easy to cancel if you get tired and really just want a day of rest. Just be sure to look at the cancelation policy. Be aware that a lot of these tours require long bus rides and loading the bus with a lot of people trying to get seats up front is challenging. If you want a front seat and the tour offers you to pay a bit more for the seat then pay it... it will be worth the costs. What drew us to the cruise were to numerous stops, getting to visit so many places was pretty great but it can also be exhausting for some people. Take that into consideration when planning your excursions. A lot of them require a lot of walking so pack comfortable shoes. St Peters Port- short shop w/ tender so we didn't plan to do very much there only toured the fort. This stop debarkation is via tender, little boats, slow process so plan to get up early if you want to see St. Peter's Port. Cork(Cohn) - booked a tour with Paddy Wagon, great experience with this company, our ship arrived late but they were there waiting. I have to say loading the bus was a mob like experience with some people thinking there wouldn't be enough seats or buses or whatever... believe me they are prepared, just relax and have a great time. After our tour we had time to hit a few pubs there in Cork and meet some really nice people. Dublin- amazing stop, overnight, loved it, we stayed about Dublin on the first day seeing the Jamison Distillery, Guinness Storehouse and used Hop on Hop off the get around as much as possible, we booked these experiences through Viator. That evening we booked a pub crawl, be careful with this booking. We arrived to an extremely crowded pub, too crowded to enjoy so be did our own pub crawl using the names of the pubs they were visiting and has a much better experience. The next day we booked a tour through Viator and had another great day. We took a taxi to the meeting place, a hotel in Dublin, that was very easy the taxi driver even stopped at an ATM for us, I have to say the people in Ireland are fabulous. Belfast- Booked through Viator again, all of these were bookings through viator were extremely reliable, never once did we think we'd miss the ship, and if we did most guaranteed they get us to the next port stop. We didn't really get to explore Belfast at all, we went to Giants Causeway and that was pretty great. Glasgow- Amazing, we didn't book anything for this day just exploded Glasgow on foot. So this was a day of rest for us but still very nice. We walked a short distance (signs point the way) to the train station, purchased a ticket and went to Glasgow. There are stairs along the walk. Invergordon- Wow Scotland, exceptional experience with them. The buses pick you up right outside the port. The tour guide and bus driver were great. Loved our day. Edinburgh- Tender debarking... We booked Hop on Hop Off through Viator, took the train from the port into Edinburgh, very easy, great day, great weather, great food, great pubs (royal mile)...amazing day Le Havre / Normandy- This is where my husband said, "I'm tired, I'm not getting up at 6 and I'm not riding 2 hrs on a bus...blah, blah, blah. This is the only stop where we booked a cruise excursion and this is the only stop where we lost money and were not refunded. I tried to cancel so ensure you know how far in advance to do that. There were a lot of people in line trying to do exactly what i was doing so please don't overbook. We booked Mont St. Michel which I really wanted to see, I learned that the next time I'll need a touring buddy. We only attend one show on the cruise ship, it was nice but crowded and most things. We didn't attend any of the formal nights. The night club is really nice but very busy because as I said earlier cruiser were mostly elderly. So I hope this helps someone. One last thing, as I said we were blessed with really great weather with only a couple days of rain and cold. I was pretty amazed that there were people that did not pack like there were going to Ireland and Scotland. The weather is so unpredictable so please pack accordingly.

Enjoyed seeing the British Isles

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Daugherty LR

Read the daily Princess Patter because they provide a lot of good information.

Daugherty LR’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IB A524
Upgraded, clean, lots of closet space
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins