3. Carnival Freedom
I usually don't cruise in December but when Hurricane Harvey messed up my camping plans at Port Aransas I decided I needed something to do. The cost for the Freedom at that time was very good, so I signed up. (I usually cruise alone.) That was my first time going through Carnival's new boarding procedure. It was great how fast I went through TSA and then right to my cabin. Platinum and Diamond members can go directly to their cabins while the others have to wait until 1:30 PM. My room key was in the mailbox next to my cabin door and it worked as expected. I did meet a few cruisers whose room key card didn't work or there was a wrong name on the card which caused them to wait in line at Guest Services which is NEVER fun! I'd never been to Ocho Rios and I was anxious to get off the ship and walk around. I didn't wonder too far from the dock area but I did go a few blocks down the street. The shopping center right off the dock was a pleasant surprise as it felt more like a mall than a group of shops. There also was a small FREE beach at Margaritaville that many people too advantage of. I'd been to the Grand Cayman stop and Cozumel stop many, many times so I didn't get off teh ship. We had pretty good sailing for the first 5 1/2 days. On the last Sea Day the ship was a rockin' and a rollin' . We entered the back side of the storm that dropped all that snow on the lower states during the week. Many cruisers were sick as well as many of the crew. They kept mentioning for people to drink Ginger Ale and apples. I went down to Deck 3 and read from my tablet and drank ginger ale, LOL. I was disappointed with the food service and quality of the dinning room food. That was my 12th Carnival cruise so I've sampled loads of dinners on their ships. There wasn't anything really bad about the food it was just boring in taste for me. They also removed PIE from the dinner time desert. Our waiter said that was the first cruise that pie was absent. After some conversation we did have PIE on Thursday night desert menu. So don't be surprised if pie is no long on your desert menu. Our wait staff were over whelmed by all the tables they had to service. They often got dinner mixed up or forgotten. They'd serve some guests while leafing the others waiting for their food. Totally unacceptable! The entertainment was pretty good. I always enjoy the comics and I wasn't disappointed on this cruise. The shows in the Victoriana were really done well but with the ship entering the storm Thursday night the cruise guest performers show was cancelled. They also scrubber the Friday shows but had the comics do all of their shows in the theater so more people could attend. My room steward, Ivan, was outstanding. I am a late riser but that deter him as he just worked around my sleep schedule. He also made sure I had plenty of clean towels and kept the ice bucket full (I requested it). Any cruise is what you make it. I'd been on the Freedom a few times before and maybe becasue I was overly familiar with the ship was why I didn't give this cruise a better rating. There wasn't anything new going on the ship other than the Christmas music that didn't have American singes/groups performing.

Still The Same Freedom