• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

5th deck, back of the ship
Cruise ship in Havana
5th deck patio bar staff
Edwin and his American fans
Emerson and his new friends

I selected this cruise because it was offered by Apple Vacations as an authorized People-to-People tour for Americans and it was a smaller ship (since I had never been on a cruise before, the idea of being on a boat with 1000's of other travelers was not my idea of vacation.) There is a more luxurious (MORE expensive) cruise line that also cruises around Cuba but I'm not one who needs be waited on hand-and-foot so I didn't want to pay for it!

For those now worried about too many Americans "ruining" the experience, the guest ratio on our trip was about one-third. Most guests were probably 50+ on our sailing (but there were a few 20 and 30-somethings). No young children on our trip.

Our sailing was below the 900ish guest capacity. Maybe only 1/3 full so the staff was not overwhelmed/busy so we took the opportunity to try to have conversations with many of them. We learned where they were from (Bali, Cuba, Philippines, Mauritius and others) and life on a cruise ship for 10 month contract. From the Cuban staff, we learned about growing up and living on the island.

Response from TimL, Passenger Services @Celestyal Cruises

Thank you for sharing your experience on board the Crystal with us and for choosing to experience the wonders of Cuba with Celestyal Cruises. Your photos are indeed lovely! Your compliments...

Cabin Balcony

We originally booked a Outside Window room. I saw pictures on cruise line website showing a full size bed and when I walked in the cabin there were two twin beds. I thought I got the wrong class room so I went to the reception desk and learned all rooms are twins and the beds are pushed together. Since the cruise was under-capacity I was able to upgrade to a balcony room (which has a double bed) for $400. SOOOOO glad I did! We really enjoyed sitting on the deck every morning we sailed into a new port!

Port Reviews

Montego Bay

Very smooth check-in process. We arrived at the beginning of check-in time so there was no waiting.

Cienfuegos

Loved that we stopped at artsy places and the downtown square is lovely. Also had time to shop and enjoy a beer on the hotel rooftop deck with a great view.

3 Helpful Votes