3. Carnival Inspiration
We took this cruise as a suggestion from my wife after a terrible experience aboard the Breeze in March. We can afford one cruise a year and wasted our time and money on that one which left me wondering if I wanted to cruise anymore. We picked up a pretty decent deal for this short offseason cruise and it's our local port so no airfare or hotel bill. We have always bought FTTF and embarkation was a breeze. We walked right on up, got our S&S cards (I guess others are delivered later to your cabins), and walked right to our room to drop off our carry-ons, and off to lunch. We see all the great reviews about guy's burgers and blue iguana and on embarkation day we feel the same way but from day 2 on we wish for the old off the grill and burrito bars. I don't know what happens but the wife and I thought the same thing on both cruises that had the upgraded restaurants. Lido buffet and pizza have never impressed us but the wait staff seemed friendly and did a good job clearing tables. We had YTD at MDR and really enjoyed the food and our waiter. We went to the Chef's Table and I must recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it. Even my wife, who had no interest in going especially after she found out it's $75 + gratuity/person, loved it and it was very impressive. We had done this cruise before so the ports weren't that special. They had fewer tenders to Catalina Island so there was a wait, even with FTTF. We rented a golf cart in Catalina for the 1st time and it was terrific. They give you a tourist map and you travel over 1/2 the island. Definitely reserve online if you go during tourist season. At Ensenada (you might not want to get off) we did the cheapest La Buffidora excursion Carnival offered. This I would also recommend. Not so much for the "blowhole" but it's a marketplace dedicated to tourists. I you're forced to let your wife shop, like I am, this was a very safe area with hundreds of shops and they weren't too aggressive. Fun day at sea- we went to sea day brunch, bingo, and casino. Too cold for kid for pools or waterslide. Disembarkation with FTTF was a disappointment. They meet you in the dining room and escort you off but that happened so late that there was a huge line at customs. In the past, we have been in the front of that line. Overall a good cruise that reminded me how much we enjoy them. I guess I won't cancel my 7 day one in June.

Pleasant quick getaway

Ages 7 to 9
Get Carnival Inspiration price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6E E172
We originally booked the cheapest room but when an upgrade to deck 7 oceanview was offered we took it. The ship is really showing its age. Closets smelled like bad foot odor and only some buttons worked on tv remote. Told our housekeeper who wanted to argue that he smelled nothing and didn't have anything for it and the remote worked fine. We let it go, we had air freshener and we would mute the tv and put it on sleep (the power button didn't work). I was upset that she tipped him when we left. Carpet was stained, paint was all scratched up, just in very poor condition but clean.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins