• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Redpenny
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Oct 2017
Cabin:

We had been on a Viking River cruise and wanted to try an ocean cruise with Viking. This was our 14th cruise, the first with Viking. Not impressed.

Cons: the food, the food, the food. The food was always cold. At the buffet at lunch, the hot food was cold, the food at dinner was cold, the nightly pea soup at 11:00pm was cold!! I complained, nicely, the first 3 days, it never got better. I found a hair in my food at lunch. If you ordered an appetizer & soup, both dishes were brought out at the same time. The night I had prime rib, it was cold, cut thin, fatty plus covered in gravy! Every time I tried to tell a waiter they would seem busy and say they would be back. They never came back. The dining room seemed to be short staffed. The dining experience was way below par...plus it was extremely noisy. My husband wears hearing aides and it was impossible for him to hear the conversation.

Pros: Viking poured very good wines.

Response from VikingS, Community Team

Dear Redpenny, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent sailing on board Viking Sky. Though we are pleased that you enjoyed your stateroom as well as our beverage selection, we...

Cabin was lovely and the cabin steward & assistant were excellent. The only drawback are the heated floors in the bathroom because you could not adjust the temperature and we had unseasonably warm weather. On the river cruise you could adjust or turn on/off the heated floor. The bathroom has plenty of storage, and the shower is big for a cruise ship. Comfortable bed and nice veranda area.

Port Reviews

Saguenay

We had to tender into Saguenay. We walked around the lovely town, shopped, ate lunch. Very quaint area.

Gaspe

We had to tender to Gaspe'. Small town, not much to do. My husband took the bus tour to the National Park and enjoyed it.

Halifax

We did the hop on, hop off bus at our own pace. Beautiful city. However our port location was not desirable and it was confusing trying to get back to the ship.

Boston

Plenty to see in Boston. We walked around the city, had dinner.

New York (Manhattan)

It's New York, what's not to like. Saw a Broadway show, had dinner. Took Uber back to the ship which was docked in Brooklyn rather than Manhattan. Viking had a bus to go into Manhattan but it only ran until 10:00 pm and our show didn't let out until later.

1 Helpful Vote