3. Carnival Triumph
There's nothing like getting away during the hustle of the holidays, and the Triumph was a great place to do it. Embarkation-We sailed out of New Orleans on 12/4 which was delayed because of repairs. We were told we would sail at 9pm instead of 4pm so having FTTF we arrived at the port at 3:00. There were hundreds of people outside the terminal but there was a special line for us. We went in before the ship even docked, checked in and waited in a special section so we could get our sign and sail cards. I have to commend Carnival for making this process as smooth as it could be. I will never sail without FTTF again. I'm hooked! Ship-The Triumph is an old girl who is ready for a makeover but still beautiful. Our cabin was very dated. From the pink vanity and bottle opener on the wall in the bathroom to the worn carpet. The bedding is always amazing and there was plenty of storage. The lack of outlets is always an issue. Our room steward, Nomang, was very good but we did not get our towel animals until the 3rd night. :( Dining-The Lido buffet was surprisingly less crowded than on previous sailings. Maybe it was the lack of food variety or maybe everyone just wanted a burrito because the line at Blue Iguana was always long. Dinner was just ok including formal night. The American Menu is disappointing for someone who wants to go on vacation and try new things. This was my first cruise actually trying the Sea Day Brunch, and I was really disappointed. I ordered the eggs benedict which came out with hard rubbery eggs, hardly any sauce and it was cold. My BF's steak and eggs were much better. Ports-We stopped in Cozumel and Progresso and had booked our excursions through shoreexcursioneer instead of Carnival. I highly recommend them. In Cozumel we did a dune buggy island tour which included beach time, snorkeling, lunch and tequila tasting. Carlos was our guide and we had a lot of fun. Cozumel is a nice place to get out and explore. Progresso is not nearly so well organized. When you get through the small shop area at the ship, you take buses and vans down the 3 mile pier that takes you closer to town. Our excursion met us there and it ended up that there were only 4 of us. We ended up with a private tour of the Xcambo Mayan ruins which was awesome. Then it was 3 hours at an all inclusive beach club. Jerry was our tour guide for this one and told us a lot about the area. You can't take 2 steps anywhere in Progresso without someone trying to sell you something or asking for a donation. Even at the beach club they asked you for a tip just to put food on your plate. Debarkation-From the time we left our cabin to actually getting off the ship took about 15 minutes. Very well organized for the FTTF folks. All in all, this was a very nice vacation. I could have done without the cold rainy final sea day, but hey, it's December. I look forward to seeing where the Triumph ends up after her dry dock and would love to sail her again.

Great holiday get away