Marella Dream Cruise Review

Butlins at Sea

Marella Dream Cruise Review by Can the Can

• Sail Date: Nov 2017
  • Destination: Canary Islands

We have sailed on this ship about 7 times but this was the worst one ever, we have taken around 15 cruises with Thomson never know it this bad. Maybe it the take over I don't know but they are cutting back on everything.

Never know such small meals served in the restaurant, was always a five course meal now down to three (very small at that) choice so poor and quality not good. All meals served either just about warm or cold, people sending meals back left right and centre.

I have never been hungry on a ship before., yes I know that I could have gone up to the self service( cash cafe as I call it) its like school dinners fight for a table, up and down every few minutes to get next course not for me I'm afraid. Drinks package that was something else, first time we have ever purchased drinks package and may be the last, once on board they pushed and pushed to upgrade the package to include everything, would not have purchased in the first place if I had known it did not include certain things.

We found it very difficult to get a drink, service was very slow except for the last night when they were all over us like a rash (tips night I guess). the early part of the cruise you had to chase a waiter or go to the bar yourself it was like they didn't want you to have a drink (and we are not great drinkers) others made up for it though.

Entrainment well more like what entrainment, the shows are a cringe factor very poor I do wonder who does the auditions (it ain't Simon Cowell that's for sure) the rest of the lounges its full of passengers entertain yourselves quiz's all night one after the other. On this cruise no comedian no crew show nothing.

I have a lactose issue no help at all no lactose free milk, (unlike P & O who we sailed with in July they carry lactose free and head waiter was able to tell me where at certain ports to buy goats milk from, also chef made lactose free desserts ect on request) but I did take my own milk with me from the UK on both ships.

I think this will be the last trip on the dream its showing its age and TUI don't spend the money on the British Fleet. Strange how in one port a TUI ship was in port Brand New Shiny ship unlike our old tub. They spent the whole of the cruise painting, hammering, drilling and washing down life boat as we sat under them, passengers where just a pest really we got in the way of the work of the men in white overalls, I was sick of seeing men in white overalls with pots of varnish, paint and tools through out the cruise.

Its a shame we have had some great cruises with Thomson over the years maybe its time to walk away now.

Can the Can's Full Rating Summary

it was fine needs new carpet & bathroom upgrade

Can the Can