Eurodam Review My wife and I decided we needed a little break before the Christmas rush and the Eurodam was our ship of choice this time. We had previously sailed on this ship seven years ago and I was curious to see what has changed onboard in that time. We are avid cruisers with 20+ cruises under our belt and now six on Holland America. The good things first: I love the general layout of the ship. Classic cruise ship look with a proper promenade deck for nice evening strolls after dinner or a nice quiet place to enjoy a book in the fresh air. Medium sized ship so it is easy to get anywhere onboard in five minutes without needing a jet pack. A covered pool and an adults only pool. Nice neutral décor and the deepest balcony we have ever had (cabin 8088). You can sit side by side facing out toward the sea in the fully reclining lounge chairs and still have room to spare. The food in the dining room was as good as any of the previous cruises that we enjoyed. Having real ice cream with waffle cones and not that extruded frozen flavoured water is a nice touch. Now the not so good: the bed was very uncomfortable. Hard but with no support. I would ask your cabin steward for one of those egg crate foam as soon as you board because they will run out pretty quickly. Probably the worst layout of a buffet. The other cruise lines have figured out how to maintain proper food safety and still make it self serve. Having to have a staff member put your food on the plate really defeats the idea of a buffet and really slows it down (try making a taco when you have to instruct the server for each ingredient). Speaking of bad designs, the two alternative dining options for lunch that don't have a premium fee, are the Dive-In (serving hotdogs and quite good burgers and fries) and New York Pizza. You order your food and then you are handed one of those restaurant pagers. Your food will be ready in twenty minutes to a half an hour. If you are coming back on board from an excursion or have been enjoying the pool and just want something quick, well you are out of luck. One last gripe, our first port of call was Half Moon Cay. I always enjoy these private island ports as the beach day, but the on shore BBQ is really quite awful. The burgers were cold (actually every hot food was) and the buns were as stale as anything I have ever seen. Pity as they started out as a nice brioche bun before they were assembled way earlier and placed under heat lamps to turn into fossils. Maybe that is one of the reasons why they don't cook the burgers in bulk at the Dive-In. The last gripe is more of an industry wide issue. The lowering of the included amenities. What was once included in your cruise fare is now an extra (and sometimes an exorbitant extra) from the free room service being severely truncated (at least there is still some no fee room service on HAL, some other lines have eliminated any no extra charge room service) to charging $5 for a $1 bottle of water for my c-pap machine that used to be provided at no cost. One good thing that HAL has over Princess etal is the fee for the specialty restaurants is quite reasonable if you dine early in the cruise. The Pinnacle Grill was advertised in the daily planner for $10 on the first two nights and rose to $35 later on. Our ports of call were the aforementioned Half Moon Cay, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Georgetown Grand Cayman Island and Key West Fl. Ocho Rios is not one of the better Caribbean ports. Besides going to Duns river falls (over priced and over rated) there is not much in the port that stands out as a must do. The shopping is sub par for those so inclined, with only the same stores that are in every other port or really low end souvenir shops. If you decide to just walk around or walk to town from the port, you will be constantly be pestered by the cabs to drive you somewhere. If you decide to use a cab (there are not too many close places they can take you, or take an excursion for that matter) you will be taken to the cheesiest low rent shopping area. That store complex must spend quite a bit to get every bus and cab to funnel their fares there. My wife who normally enjoys going through the shops, couldn't be bothered getting off the ship. Our next port of call was Georgetown Grand Cayman. This port is good if you like to snorkel or to see the most western shopping area of the Caribbean. I have been told that the prices are high in this port though. If you just want to enjoy the water, seven mile beach is only $2.50 US away by public transit. Or you can walk there in about 20 minutes. Be warned that this is a popular port of call for the cruise lines (there were 7 ships at anchor when we were there) and the beach can get crowded. I found a nice public park with a small beach and good snorkeling (that the locals go to apparently), about two miles out of town. Instead of turning left when you leave the tender drop off point, turn right and follow the road to Smiths Cove (that’s what the locals called it, the park has another name but I didn't write it down). It is right across the road from a large estate home that really stands out if you need another reference. Our last port was Key West. There is not much to say other than you can find something to do while on shore. There is a little of everything for you to do. The last thing is somehow HAL can't seem to figure out disembarkation. Not sure why but everytime you leave HAL ships we always end up lined up in the hallway waiting to get off then a large line to get through customs. I know it can be done more efficiently as Princess/ Royal Caribbean/ Carnival Etc. seem to get you off without having to stand around in lines. I don't want it thought that we didn't enjoy our cruise because we did, and would cruise on HAL again. I just wanted to point out the minor deficiencies.

Another good cruise on Holland America

cb1968’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Eurodam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VC 8088
Our cabin was well appointed with a bath tub, refrigerator, decent sofa and the largest balcony we have ever had. Our steward kept our room in fine shape. The only complaint is the bed was not comfortable to either of us. I recommend asking for a egg crate foam mattress topper. Maybe when the ship gets its retrofit in a few months, they might be replacing the mattresses. Lets hope.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins