Carnival Splendor Cruise Review
1,446 Reviews

Overall miserable uncomfortable experience, will not sail this cruise line again

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by year round traveler

• Sail Date: Dec 2017
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Will not take Carnival Cruise Lines ever again. Had this been my first cruise, I would never cruise again. Pros (yes a few) - easy check in, few lines, always could find a lounge chair, table, etc., pretty good live bands, good service (especially from the many Filipino crew members), and the common areas were always clean (but they did not use best practices in food areas), actual TV channels in the rooms. Cons (many) vulgar, loud tacky decor and vulgar, loud tacky crowds to compliment it; vulgar, loud, tacky entertainment, amateruish shows, plenty of activities, none of which interested me - most of which are designed solely to cause you to part with more money, mediocre food, fake ports of call, expensive shore excursions. Poor scheduling of evening activities to conflict with scheduled dining times. Both my husband and I got food poisoning. Bad weather caused the cruise line to forego one planned stop for a miserable sea day. The weather diversion not their fault except that the extra activities they came up with to fill the day were more vulgar loud and tacky. The substitute port they offered was Freeport, which is a working port with a small port shopping area with tired loud, tacky and vulgar souvenirs. Worst of all stand up comedian told racist jokes. As a person of color, I was extremely uncomfortable and humiliated (I even heard that racist joke repeated by a guest on the cruise later). I walked out of the show, complained loudly, and felt little reason to believe that the company will do anything about it going forward. I requested a meeting with the entertainment director and all she did was nod her head and then say that they weren't responsible for the entertainment but contracted it out. And I told her the company can set guidelines, and demeaning people of color should be an absolute no no. She never even apologized. I told her I would not be sailing Carnival ever again. Don't know if this was a coincidence but after my complaint, I had no access to social media, even though I paid for the package. The whole experience made for a very uncomfortable unpleasant cruise.

year round traveler's Full Rating Summary