3. Ruby Princess
I choose this cruise because I did not have to fly anywhere to get on this ship. I had never cruised on Princess before and wanted to try them out. I went on the Ruby Princess, had a balcony room on the Baja deck. The room was really nice and large, with a large bathroom and large closet area, with lots of storage space. The outdoor balcony area was also spacious for 2 people. What I did notice about the room, was that it was not soundproof, and even had a vent in the front door. This was different from other ships on other carriers, which had soundproof rooms. The reason I will probably not go on another cruise with Princess, is the food. I decided this before I had an issue with one of the staff in the gift shops on board. I will address that first. I was totally ignored by a staff member of the Effy store. I will not speculate about the reasons why, and I did lodge a complaint with Princess. Now, as to the food, first of all, I did pay for a specialty restaurant, called "Share" by Curtis Stone, and that 6 course meal was excellent!. However, the free food that came with the cruise, the buffet, and restaurants, were not up to par, except for the fish dinner and baked Alaska served on the last night. The breakfast buffet was sparse and basic. It had normal American food and not much else. The buffet also was very small, considering the number of guests on the ship. I was used to much larger selections of food on other cruise lines. Also, the meats and fish were all over salted. Additionally, it took an act of Congress to get a straw, and the free beverages, like iced tea, and even cold water, were hard to find. If a steward went to get it, it would take a while to get a beverage. I never had that issue on any other ship. The dinner menu in the restaurants was not memorable. There was a man at my table who ordered a steak and he could not eat it because it was inedible. Also, after at least 30 minutes of no service, a waiter asked the man if he was unhappy with the food, and he was told twice, that the steak was bad. Nothing happened until much later when a supervisor came over. The service was neither prompt nor attentive. The cabin service was average, no towel animals in the room, and the service carts were left in the hallways all day (see photo). All in all, I expect more from a cruise, and this being around my 7th cruise, I know I can have a better experience for my money. But, oh, the rooms are so nice.

Nice Large Rooms, Average Food

travelgreen45’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE B214
Large with comfortable beds, a large bathroom, and nice balcony.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins