3. Adventure of the Seas
My husband and I in our 60's, booked this cruise several days before sailing from San Juan. We got a great rate on a balcony cabin but the airfare was very high. It was worth it though. We had been on an RCC New England cruise 2 yrs ago and thought it wasn't as good as a Princess cruise we had been on but Adventure of the Seas was a much larger and nicer ship and the food seemed to have improved. It still wasn't as good as Princess but okay. We used Edwin Lovell in Barbados and he took us on a private tour for a very reasonable rate. He even took us to a beach by a restaurant where they gave us free chairs after he told us we would eat there. You can look him up on TripAdvisor. We used Spencer Ambrose in St. Lucia for a tour (also on TripAdvisor) and were very satisfied with his service and the places we went. There were a few other people in his mini van but it was comfortable. We went to a beach there as well as going on a sightseeing tour of the island. I would recommend both these gentlemen over a ship's tour. In St. Croix, we took a 1/2 day snorkeling ship's tour which was a mistake. There were far too many people on the boat and a shipmate used a private snorkeling boat for a full day at almost the same price which he said had only 12 people and great snorkeling. Our favorite island was St. Maarten. We did this on our own. In the morning, we walked a short distance from the ship and found a sign for taxis to different places. For $6 each, we joined a few other people they find for you at the taxi stand. According to the internet, Orient Beach on the French side (St. Martin) is the best there and our driver took us to Kakao Beach which was topless as we discovered when we got there. It wasn't as crowded as further down and there was a restaurant (we didn't eat there)and changing facilities and chairs and umbrellas ($10 each for a chair and $10 for an umbrella). The water was turquoise and very clear, the beach white sand. It was so beautiful! We stayed a couple of hours, then took a taxi back to the ship ($16 total plus tip), ate lunch on the ship, then I went shopping on my own in St Maarten, walking distance from the ship. I heard later that the shopping on the French side is even better but this is how it worked out for us. We did Antigua on our own, nothing much to see there. In the morning, we walked around the town and in the afternoon, we took a taxi to a beach where we spent a couple of hours. We aren't really beach people but the beaches are so pretty and there isn't too much else to do so we went. The entertainment on this ship was outstanding. Make sure to go to the ice show and all the evening shows as they are wonderful. The balcony cabin was very spacious; we didn't even use all the storage space. The downside of this itinery - 700 of out the 3100 passengers were from San Juan and spoke only Spanish. They were friendly but very noisy and there were lots of children. Also, I don't know the reason but the dining room was 1/2 empty and we ended up sitting alone at a table for 6. If you want to meet people as we did, sit at a larger table. They put the Spanish speaking people together so that probably accounted for the problem. All in all, this cruise was better than expected and I would recommend this ship but not out of San Juan.

Last Minute Cruise

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Glofen

Glofen’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Got a balcony cabin on the 7th floor in the rear. Usually, I like the center of the ship but this was all that was left. I think it was 7815. Very spacious and no problem being in the back. Very quiet too.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Antigua
    We did Antigua on our own, nothing much to see there. In the morning, we walked around the town and in the afternoon, we took a taxi to a beach where we spent a couple of hours. We aren't really beach people but the beaches are so pretty and there isn't too much else to do so we went. This was our least favorite port.
    View All 1,546 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Barbados
    We used Edwin Lovell in Barbados and he took us on a private tour for a very reasonable rate. He even took us to a beach by a restaurant where they gave us free chairs after he told us we would eat there. He picked us up right at the agreed upon time. We visited an old synagogue in town. You can look him up on TripAdvisor.
    We found Barbados to have some lovely sights.
    View All 1,520 Barbados Cruise Port Reviews